cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MFP Experiences?

estein
Level 1
Level 1

I'm wondering how people's experiences have been with MFP, after enabling it on the wireless controllers. How well does/did it work, has it caused any problems? (And what controller version were you running at the time?) I have Intel 2200BG and 3945ABG clients (running WPA + TKIP), and I'm wondering if MFP could cause more problems than it's worth.

3 Replies 3

ethiel
Level 3
Level 3

We had some significant issues with MFP with Intel clients. We did not track down the root cause, but disabling it seemed to remove many issues. I decided I would hold off re-enabling it for the time being.

If I remember correctly, the Intel was receiving a de-auth frame that it considered invalid because of MFP. This frame caused some versions of the Intel driver to wedge, and we had to disable/enable the nic to re-gain wireless access.

There is also limited benefits to MFP until more clients actually support it fully, so I think it will be more practical in a year or two. However, I would be curious as well to hear other feedback.

-Eric

Please remember to rate all helpful posts.

Hi

I am interested to know if there are any updates to this post from anyone on this forum.

Has anyone used this on a guest WLAN with anchor mobility?

Has the Intel issue been resolved?

Mark

Yeah we found a deauth issue with Intel 3945/4965 when running MFP (very noticable with session timeout configured, which triggers a deauth). We raised this with Intel and they saw the same and managed to fix it. Last I saw, it will be integrated in their WW10 2009 release.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card