Views
Helpful
Replies

Model AIR-CT2504-K9 SOftware update

scottcummins
Level 1
Level 1

Good day all

I have an pair of AIR-CT2504-K9 set up as Primary and secondary devices, I am currently running  AIR-CT2500-K9-8-0-152-0.aes and need to update the IOS IF these new version are specifically used in my model devices, I see several different versions. I loaded the (MD) version the last time I updated the IOS in NOV of 2017 (AIR-CT2500-K9-8-0-152-0.aes (MD)). I can't remember if there is a certain revision string I need to use or If I can just download and update with the latest (AIR-CT2500-AP_BUNDLE-K9-8-5-135-0.aes). Or Do I need to upgrade to a version ending in (MD)?

5 Replies 5

superego
Level 1
Level 1

Software Release Types and Recommendations

Release Types    
Release Type Description Benefit
Maintenance Deployment (MD) Software releases that provide bug-fix support and ongoing software maintenance. These releases are categorized as Maintenance Deployment (MD). Provides you with a software release that offers stability and long support duration with periodic maintenance releases (MRs).

These are long-living releases with ongoing software maintenance.
Early Deployment (ED) Software releases that provide new features and new hardware platform support in addition to bug fixes. These releases are categorized as Early Deployment (ED). Allows you to deploy the latest features and new hardware platforms or modules.

These are short-lived releases.

From your current version, 8.0.152, you can upgrade directly to 8.3.143

Refer to Release Notes, check that your AP is supported and the features you need:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn83mr4.html

From your current version, 8.0.152, you need to upgrade to 8.3.143 then 8.5.135.

Refer to Release Notes, check that your AP is supported and the features you need:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn85mr3.html#supplementary-image

Due to the size of the software image, images are split into 2, Base install image and Supplementary AP bundle image.

Follow the release notes, links above for instructions.

***Please rate helpful posts***

Hi

ED (Early Deployment) -  New features

MD (Maintenance Deployment).  - Bug fix.

My advise is follow the Cisco indication, which is the start in front of the version number.  Use the latest version is not a good practice. I prefer to use intermediate version. Unless you really need some feature that only has on the latest version and you are willing to accept the bugs that newer version might have. Recently I upgrade to 8.5 and I´m surviving until now.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Check your existing AP stock and make sure the APs are still supported in the version you intend to go to.

Gentlemen

Thank you so much for your very helpful responses, I have 10 of the AIR-CAP1702I-A-K9 Access Points which are on the compatibility list. Also, There are two downloads and one is labeled a "bundle". I do not need this one do I? I assume I only need the straight IOS file and upload it to each of my Controllers?

If you only have 1702 models, go for the latest 8.5 software release.
Here the release note:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn85mr3.html
Take special note about the supported upgrade path as already suggested by @superego.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: