Views
Helpful
Replies

Move bulk accesspoints to an other controller

Harrie Hendriks
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a third controller and we want to move some (300) accesspoints to that controller.

But I cannot find in the controller software or in Prime infra (3.4) how to do quickly, without to click on each Accesspoint and move them to that controller.

Is there a script to move a bulk access points to an other controller.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jurgens L
Level 3
Level 3

You can create a template as per below specifying the new primary WLC you would like the AP's to migrate to. If you do have DHCP option 43 running for the respective AP's I would suggest you update your DHCP settings in tandem with your change via Prime

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 10.56.01 pm.png

<<< Please help the community by marking useful posts helpful, or accept as a solution if it resolved your issue >>>

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Doubt this will be possible the way you formulate it, actually AP's are never moved between controllers but discover controllers during the boot process usually with the help of DHCP options. The question then becomes : how do I reboot a series of AP's after changing the DHCP options for their Mac's on the DHCP server. Prime may have more flexible answers for this question by for instance selecting them all , and then choose reboot.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Jurgens L
Level 3
Level 3

You can create a template as per below specifying the new primary WLC you would like the AP's to migrate to. If you do have DHCP option 43 running for the respective AP's I would suggest you update your DHCP settings in tandem with your change via Prime

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 10.56.01 pm.png

<<< Please help the community by marking useful posts helpful, or accept as a solution if it resolved your issue >>>

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PI is really "finicky" when doing bulk AP moves. Sometimes it works.
If I wanted to move AP, either individual or bulk, I just use an Excel spreadsheet. Put the list of APs in column A and then in column B, I use this formula: 

@concat("config ap primary-base <WLC NAME> ", A1," <WLC IP ADDRESS>")

Copy the formula to the rest of the column and then copy it (again) to the CLI. Works all the time.

I follow  the method what Leo said. It works all the time :)

Rasika

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: