Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Security Profiles (SSIDs/Vlans) or Single SSIDs and Vlans

msmarziali
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have configured an acces points Aironet 1850i with image mobility express.

In my network i have 4 vlans.

The access point is connected to the switch with a trunk connection for all vlans.

We have configured radius authentication for all SSIDs: we have created a SSID (tagged) for each vlan.

In total now i have 4 SSID.

It is possible to have a configuration with a single SSID and then based on user authentication (if a member of a group) assign the vlanid ?

Which is the safest configuration?

Thank you in advance.

5 Replies 5

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Yes you can have only 1 ssid and then based on user authentication, you can push them into a vlan. If you're in a flexconnect mode then you can assign a vlan. If you're in local mode (centralized mode), you can assign a radius attribute Airespace:Airespace-Interface-Name. This interface must be defined into your wlc.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi, we have not a wlc.

We use an aironet 1650i for wlc role.

We setup aironet by web wizard, but no find any reference to setup one ssid for multiple VLAN  and assign correct VLAN by NPS.

Is possible configure via web?

Web interfacce permit create WLAN(ssid) and assign a tag for VLAN, so we create multiple ssid that correspond to vlans.

Any reference?

Thanks a lot  for precious support.

Hi, we have not a wlc.

We use an aironet 1650i for wlc role.

We setup aironet by web wizard, but no find any reference to setup one ssid for multiple VLAN  and assign correct VLAN by NPS.

Is possible configure via web?

Web interfacce permit create WLAN(ssid) and assign a tag for VLAN, so we create multiple ssid that correspond to vlans.

Any reference?

Thanks a lot  for precious support.

Here a documentation showing how to do vlan assignment on an autonomous AP:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/116581-configure-dynamicvlan-00.html

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi @msmarziali ,

Yes, You can assign VLAN via radius server based on the user group. Please refer the below links for ACS and NPS.

Dynamic Authorization using NPS on Cisco WLC

Dynamic Authorization using ACS on Cisco WLC

Regards,
Sathiyanarayanan Ravindran

Please rate the post and accept as solution, if my response satisfied your question:)
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card