cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to setup a SSID in Prime 3.4

JohnW63
Level 1
Level 1

This is the first time I have needed to setup an SSID that I can push out with a PI template. All the templates were created before it was my job. I'm having trouble figuring out the difference between all the AP Groups, WLAN Configuration, etc that are all in the Features and Technologies section. The goal is to have an SSID that allows students to do eSports at a specific time on ONE AP that I can add or removed the special SSID when needed.  I was able to create a WLAN Configuration by checking out an old PI tutorial and figuring out the differences.  What do I need to do next ? AP Group ? 

5 Replies 5

pieterh
VIP
VIP

yes the WLAN template must exist and be known to one (or more) controller(s).

but then only AP's in the default group (not assigned to a specific group)  transmit this SSID

if you want this SSID sent out by a limited numer of AP's 

then you create a new AP-group with this WLAN and others  if desired  and also apply to the controller

then you assign this group to this access point (if you do this from the accesspint configuration)

or assign the access point to the group (if you do this from the group configuration), then apply to the controller

You do not need to remove the WLAN from the group but only disable/enable the wlan as desired from the wlan template and apply to controller

Pieterh,

Thanks for the over view. I was hoping for more PI specifics.  I'm not clear on the roll of the WLAN configuration, the AP groups, Profiles, and Dynamic Interfaces. It seems that were I save them in the Templates area matters , since I can only see some in various screens. 

Hi John,

you decide how you want your templates ordered for navigation.
possibly there was no attention for doing this logically,
probably you have a "my templates" branch and within my templates  a "discoverd templates" branch
you will find most templates here

but you are in luck you can move templates to another point in the tree

e.g. look for a template in 
Configuration / Templates / Features & Technologies

Templates / My Templates / Discovered Templates / Controller

You see an circled "i", when you hover over this you see the option to move to another folder

CPI-move.PNG

Thanks ! 

I was wondering how to move Templates. 

I'm walking through a working SSID set of templates to see how they all relate to each other and where they are stored in the Features and Technology tree. For instance, where do templated need to be to be seen in the WLAN VLAN Mapping drop down menu and what TYPE of template does it need to be ? 

AFAIK the place in the tree is not relevant, you can select any existing template
but a "default" place can be seen when you navigate in the tree to create a new template from a blank template

or from a blank environment you added a controller and did a "discover templates from controller"

e.g. for WLAN:
Configuration / Templates / Features & Technologies
-> Templates / Features and Technologies / Controller / WLANs

or Templates / My Templates / Discovered Templates

a basic workflow would be something like
- create dynamic interface
- create wlan
- create ap group
- (add ap's to this group)
- apply templates in this order
   else CPI "knows" the controller has no suitable interface for the wlan

you can streamline this by creating a configuration group

Configuration / Templates / Configuration Groups

and add templates to this group,

you can use this group to deploy templates, CPI will apply the templates in the right order

and you can use this group to audit the configuration

CPI will check if the current controller configuration matches the template and display the differences

(eg when modified local on the controller not using CPI)

For more complex configurations you can create additional template like for radius servers, ACL's radio settings, global controller settings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card