Helpful
Replies

Network user Check Box

niknik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is explanation from Cisco guide for WLC, Relese 8.0 : 

Check the Network User check box to enable network user authentication, or uncheck it to disable this feature.
The default value is unchecked. If you enable this feature, this entry is considered the RADIUS authentication
server for network users. If you did not configure a RADIUS server entry on the WLAN, you must enable
this option for network users.

My question is: If I have RADIUS configured, do I need to check this box? Also, if I have two RADIUS servers (primary and secondary for WLC) on which one do I need to check this box? 

BR,

Nik

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is a global feature for your radius servers, meaning that if they are checked, they will be part of the rotation of the radius servers. I typically do not check these but apply the radius server and order on the wlan aaa settings. The wlan settings will override the global, but will use the global if the defined servers u see the wlan is not reachable. The checkbox in my option should never be there. They cause more issue when you have different wlans using different sets of radius servers. Define your radius in the wlan and don’t check these.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@niknik 

if you using RADIUS you not going to need that checkbox ticked.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

Hi Ruben,

Can you please explain me this option? I dont really understand for what is used. And I saw it enabled on many WLCs which are using RADIUS. What do I get/lose when enable it? 

Thanks

This is a global feature for your radius servers, meaning that if they are checked, they will be part of the rotation of the radius servers. I typically do not check these but apply the radius server and order on the wlan aaa settings. The wlan settings will override the global, but will use the global if the defined servers u see the wlan is not reachable. The checkbox in my option should never be there. They cause more issue when you have different wlans using different sets of radius servers. Define your radius in the wlan and don’t check these.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you for your detailed explanation, as always.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card