Views
Helpful
Replies

OpenSSL only way to obtain WLC CSR?

lcaruso
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I'm running Windows 8.1 and not having any luck with OpenSSL. Is there any other means to generate a CSR for a WLC 5508 web auth cert?

Thanks.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have always used OpenSSL light v9.8 and never had issues. You can always use another method to generate a CSR, but you have to convert the cert they provide you to a pem. There are online conversions but to me that is more of a hassle.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

I think you're referring to OpenSSL version 0.9.8 (not v9.8).

The bug you're referring to is:

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCti65315

Fixed in WLC 7.5 and 7.6 (and 8).

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Usually you can get Linux OS installed (virtually) and get openSSL to work on it.

If your issue is with the OS, you can virtually install any older windows version (windows XP, windows 7) that works fine with the 0.9.8 OpenSSL. Generate the CSR then remove the VM.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

I typically just have OpenSSL installed on a Windows VM in my Mac. To me, there is no need for me to install v1.0 since 0.9.8 works fine for all versions of WLC code. The biggest issue was people were downloading the latest version of OpenSSL which didn't work with the older versions of code until Cisco supported that on the later versions. We still use the 0.9.8 versions because we still see customers who standardize on the 7.0 or other code versions that only work with 0.9.8. There just isn't a need to upgrade for a tool to create a CSR. We also use the windows version because we automate this process which makes it easier for us.

-Scott

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have always used OpenSSL light v9.8 and never had issues. You can always use another method to generate a CSR, but you have to convert the cert they provide you to a pem. There are online conversions but to me that is more of a hassle.

-Scott

Thanks Scott. I'll try that version.

There use to be an issue with OpenSSL v1.0 but some say it works, but I haven't tried it since v9.8 works like a charm:)

-Scott

I think you're referring to OpenSSL version 0.9.8 (not v9.8).

The bug you're referring to is:

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCti65315

Fixed in WLC 7.5 and 7.6 (and 8).

Yeah that's what I meant. I still use that version as it still works the best. No need to have two versions because you might still need to creat a CSR for older version WLC's.

-Scott

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Usually you can get Linux OS installed (virtually) and get openSSL to work on it.

If your issue is with the OS, you can virtually install any older windows version (windows XP, windows 7) that works fine with the 0.9.8 OpenSSL. Generate the CSR then remove the VM.

I typically just have OpenSSL installed on a Windows VM in my Mac. To me, there is no need for me to install v1.0 since 0.9.8 works fine for all versions of WLC code. The biggest issue was people were downloading the latest version of OpenSSL which didn't work with the older versions of code until Cisco supported that on the later versions. We still use the 0.9.8 versions because we still see customers who standardize on the 7.0 or other code versions that only work with 0.9.8. There just isn't a need to upgrade for a tool to create a CSR. We also use the windows version because we automate this process which makes it easier for us.

-Scott

Last week I installed Ubuntu on a spare SSD I had sitting around and just boot that when I need OpenSSL.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card