cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infra 1.3 NCS disk volume optvol is above the recommended disk usage

jcarrabine1
Level 1
Level 1

Ran "ncs cleanup" and this did not change the usage at all. Adjusted retention data policy as well. Any other ideas on how to get this usage under control?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The small ova on the NCS was always an issue and it was recommended to use the medium ova at the minimum. With all my installs now, I will not use the small ova and will size it pretty high if I can due to the DB increasing in size. I have a customer that their backup increases a gig a week and they had to stop some of the background task, perform a cleanup and manually remove some stored files on NCS/PI.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you hitting the 50% disk space usage? If so you will need to increase the storage by adding another virtual disk.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-26960

-Scott

It's currently at 62% for optvol. The rest are relatively low, but I installed this less than a month ago using Cisco's OVF template. Is the template flawed?

The small ova on the NCS was always an issue and it was recommended to use the medium ova at the minimum. With all my installs now, I will not use the small ova and will size it pretty high if I can due to the DB increasing in size. I have a customer that their backup increases a gig a week and they had to stop some of the background task, perform a cleanup and manually remove some stored files on NCS/PI.

-Scott

I can't remember which template I used. If it was the small what should I increase the disk to? I've got 88 aps and 2500 users. I'm killing my storage array. I'm about to spin up 4 VM's of ISE this week. Another 1.5tb gobbled up. Do you just add the virtual disk

EDIT: The disk created at install was 200Gb for PI.

Wait til you see the requirement for PI 2.0... the large ova minimum is 10TB.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Well I added 100GB disk to the VM, and now NCS will not even start.

Failure during Network Control System startup.  Check launchout.log

Well I would try to restart the VM... you did shut down the VM prior to making the change. 

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

It's wroking again. There appears to be a HUGE amount of time it takes for Prime to prepare the new volume for use before it actually comes back online. Things I noticed were;

-Failure during Network Control System startup. Check launchout.log after tring a manual NCS start

- erratic pings and general failures in pings to the appliance

- certain services mainly healthMON stuck in starting mode FOREVER.

All said and done the server was offline preparing that virtual disk for about 3 hours. My optvol went from 64% to 26%. So I would say problem solved.

Thanks Scott.

P.S. I have to admit that I added the disk before stopping NCS/halt. This might have been the reason it took so long, but at least I can say that if someone else does it the way I did it should at least come back online.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are lucky:) sometimes not shutting down the service can cause PI to not work:)

-Scott

I suppose you are right. I defiantly would not advise anyone to push their luck like I just did. My PI install was fresh so I had to recreate templates, and maps. I haven't even setup backups yet. The install is less than a month old. This could have been a complete disaster.

Thanks again.

No problem.... just monitor the size of the drives once you get everything how you want it.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card