Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure 3.3 CLI: command "show running-config" fails

Scott Gillies
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have to upgrade Prime 3.3 to 3.8.

If I run the CLI command "show startup-config" it produces output.

If I run the CLI command "show running-config" it produces no output (other than 'Generating configuration...') and just freezes till I do a ctrl c.

Any reason why "show running-config" produces no configuration output?

9 Replies 9

Scott Gillies
Level 1
Level 1
ALSO, just discovered "write memory" has the same issue.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- As far as I understand it, this direct upgrade-path is not supported. You have to go to 3.7 first , then install a virgin 3.8 and restore from a 3.7-backup. Anyway re-visit the release notes for 3.8 and scrutinize the install and upgrade procedures.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

hi

Thanks for your reply.

I already know the upgrade path from Prime 3.3 - 3.8.

I would like to know why running the commands:

"show running-config" produces no configuration output

or more concerning that

"write memoryprovides no conformation that the configuration has been saved?

- Log on to your current Prime deployment (SSH) and check it's health with  the ncs status command

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi 

All looks fine. Is there something I should be looking for?

admin# ncs status
Health Monitor Server is running. ( [Role] Primary [State] Primary Active )
Database server is running
FTP Service is running
TFTP Service is running
Matlab Server is running
Matlab Server Instance 1 is running
Matlab Server Instance 2 is running
Matlab Server Instance 3 is running
NMS Server is running.
SAM Daemon is running ...
DA Daemon is running ...
WSA service is running ...
wsa apache httpd is running...
Compliance engine is running
/admin#

- Have a cold boot/restart , carefully scrutinize the startup process, make sure no errors are seen when services are started. Afterwards, if the problem persists have a look at system performance (memory, disk, cpu) both from a local view , and if this is a VM also look at hypervisor performance values for the Prime VM, check  if no bottlenecks are observed.

M.

Are those not working commands on the old 3.3 or the new 3.8 installation?

They don't work on current Prime 3.3. 

I would not venture to perform an upgrade on Prime if these rather fundamental commands were not working.

Also perform an application stop/start and the problem still persists.

Next will be an appliance reboot.

That's not good yeah. You could do an application backup, that anyway lacks the CLI configuration (if I remember correctly) and store that. You might be hitting a full-partition issue, that was fairly common in some 3.3 versions.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: