cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem adding Alarm System to a wlc 5500

Brixbeluxe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi together, i am new in this community and hopefully i have a easy question for you experts, but i am working hours on it and can´t figure out what is wrong.

I have running a wlc 5500 with 16 AP´s, different VLans for different ISP, everything is running fine. 

But now i have to connect a low-cost Alarm System (Reseller: Pearl), to connect this System into a WLan you have to download a app on a Smartphone, connect the Smartphone to the Wlan the Alarm System should join, give the App the WPA2 key, and start the "Connect-Process" on both Systems. This is working fine with a Wlan Hotspot, a lowcost Accesspoint (Dlink) but not with the WLC. Is there an option or function to provide such features?

Many thanks in advance!

Greetz

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You mean WPA2 with a PSK (pre shared key) probably ; you will need to create a WLAN , with support for the particular PSK , check this document :
       https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/116880-config-wpa2-psk-00.html#anc7

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello,

thanks for your answer.

I tried this several times, and however this is working for all Clients and mobiles, but not for the Alarm System.

Again, in the Alarm-System i cannot select a SSID or configure any WLAN Settings, only a button with "Connect". So there must be an Option that allows the WLC to let the System connect via a authentifikation over the Android-App that is connected over the same WLAN. I am working now with wiresharp and the WLC log files but didn´t find anything useful so far, nobody knows this connection technology "providing credentials over another system"?

Greetz.

- It seems that the provisioning mechanism is incompatible  with the cisco-controller based environment. You may want to contact the support services of the alarm system to get more help.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

That is a device issue and design. If you can’t manually set or select and SSID, the device will never join. Talk to your alarm system support and see if there is a workaround. I don’t know any other enterprise wireless manufacturer that has that feature to allow any type of “on click connect” except for home wireless systems.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for your replies,

I have never seen such a provisioning by myself before, and i already talked to the Visortech-Support, but nobody can help me.

It´s hard to understand why it is working with a fritzbox wlan, also with a mobilephone-hotspot the device is joining, but not in a wlc distributed Wlan. Anybody Ideas in which Layer this is done? Are the DHPC Settings relevant?

- I have doubts at to whether this can  get resolved because in the end the client connects to an SSID in a not standard manner. I presume the controller-based environment is more hardened to prevent such unwanted connection schemes. What you could do is examine the controller-logs when you press connect on the app and or at the same time enable client (mac) debugging for the phone-app and the alarm system. Check if anything get's blocked. DHCP is not an issue here.

M.

How is the device joining a mobile phone hotspot? You have a specific ssid from the phone with a pershared key. How is that device joining without entering a psk? Unless the Android has that WPS feature. If it does, then the Cisco wireless does not and the device will not connect.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card