cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with AP predownload image (7.0.235.0 -> 7.0.240.0)

Fredrik Hjelm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I´m about to upgrade 38 WLCs(WiSM w/ 4400s) from 7.0.235.0 -> 7.0.240,0 mainly because to get rid of the "W8-problem" (802.11w-capable client fails pairwise key handshake with AES.)

My apporach was to upgrade the WLCs and predownload the imgae to alla APs and then reboot at the time of the service window.

But I did a test with one WLC now and all APs wont predownload. Even after the commadn is issued and I have waited well over 600s (maximujm back-off timer), they still appear like this issuing "show ap image <AP-name>:

Predownload     Predownload

AP Name            Primary Image  Backup Image   Status          Version        Next Retry Time  Retry Count

AP001                     7.0.235.0      0.0.0.0               None            None                NA               NA

I have tried to issue the "config ap image predownload backup <AP-name> to predownload to a specific AP but no difference.

36 out of 100 APs did download the new image. I´ve read about a bug regarding predownloading i previous 7.0-versions but that problem was not simililar to my case here.

Any thoughts?

//F

30 Replies 30

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I use predownload all the time during my upgrades .. The only issue I recall having was 7.0.116.0 code. The 1131 and maybe the 1142 refused to predownload .. It's been a long while since then ..

I don't recall any bugs with your code ..

For giggles reboot a few of the problem aps and try it again.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks for the info!

Yes, I cant either find any problem with this version.

Yes that I could try but as I wrote earlier, even if that corrects the problem, its not feasible to do it on all 38 WLCs and/or 3000 APs...

Then I rather do an upgrade w/o predownload and take the drawbacks with that approach. =)

Ok, I now re-booted one AP1142 and the issued "config ap image predownload backup AP-name"

It still wont predownload....

Try downloading the primary image.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Ok, thats working!

But I thought that since I have set the old (7.0.235.0) image as active because I want it to boot from that in case the WLC re-boots before my service window. I had to use " ... predownload backup"

Even though I know that the new image is the primary if I issue "show boot".

But I still have to manage the AP1130 manually, since they seem to be low on memory, but they are not that many.

Thanks guys!

I read it somewhere that in that case active = primary , but I must have misunderstood it.. =)

Yeah... you need to downlaod the primary to make that a backup and then swap the image.  So did that fix the issue?

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Yes I have understood the concept (really?)... :-)

But as I said, a line somewhere got me in the wrong direction...

Thank again!

Okay... well at least you can use that feature now:)

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Fredrik Hjelm
Level 1
Level 1

The more I think about it, the more not_logcial my conclusion seem.
It was what we in Sweden use the word "tankevurpa" (thought crash) for. :-)

Thanks for your patience!

Haha:)

-Scott

Ok, I now upgraded another WLC and tried to predownload the image to the APs and  I can see that something isn´tt right.

After the first "config ap image predownload primary all" 3 APs out of approx 80 downloads the image. I then test if I do it on 1 specific AP and that works. Then I issue the "config ap image predownload primary all" again and now 26 APs out of 81 has downloaded the new image. The rest just do...nothing.

I also notice that some APs disassociate from the WLC after the upgrade of the WLC image, which triggers alarms in our management system. That I didnt expect either.

I figure that if I should use AP image predownloading it must work for all APs at once. Its not efficient to spend an hour (or more) per WLC to make all APs predownload.

Any ideas?

Yea, some aps will drop when they take the code. It only predownloads 10 aps at a time. The other go into a timed back off. Read my post, check the timers on your aps. Maybe some are backing off for a real long time.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Yes, I know about the que and I´ve read your post many times.. =)

But back off timers should be seen when I issue the "show ap image all". When everything is right I can see Next Retry Time and Retry Count but on these APs this states NA.

Are these 1142 aps ?

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."