Views
Helpful
Replies

Reboot vs Restart on 5520?

erickalvarado
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

What's the difference between a Reboot and Restart? I have a 5520 running 8.2.170 and from the GUI, on the Commands menu, it has both options.

It also has a Reset to Factory Default which is quite obvious. 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Eric,

Fast Restart is used in below scenarios instead of reset system (which is a complete reload)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-6/b_Cisco_Wireless_LAN_Controller_Configuration_Best_Practices.html#concept_299DC562EE1348CBA6470D152E7F889A

The Fast restart enhancement aims to reduce network and service downtime by up to 73% when making
changes to the following features:
• LAG Configuration Change
• Mobility Mode Change
• Web-Auth Certificate Change
• Clear Configuration
Without fast restart, the above changes required a full system restart. Fast restart feature is supported on
the Cisco WLC 5520, 7510, 8510, 8540 and vWLC starting release 8.1. It can be invoked using the CLI
by issuing the Restart command or by clicking Save and Restart within the Web-UI

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi Eric,

Fast Restart is used in below scenarios instead of reset system (which is a complete reload)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-6/b_Cisco_Wireless_LAN_Controller_Configuration_Best_Practices.html#concept_299DC562EE1348CBA6470D152E7F889A

The Fast restart enhancement aims to reduce network and service downtime by up to 73% when making
changes to the following features:
• LAG Configuration Change
• Mobility Mode Change
• Web-Auth Certificate Change
• Clear Configuration
Without fast restart, the above changes required a full system restart. Fast restart feature is supported on
the Cisco WLC 5520, 7510, 8510, 8540 and vWLC starting release 8.1. It can be invoked using the CLI
by issuing the Restart command or by clicking Save and Restart within the Web-UI

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasika,
Thank you for the detailed explanation!
Regards.

Hi

Dont see any difference. Most important, both will cause downtime on your network.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

I guess my car came with extra bolts too.....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card