Views
Helpful
Replies

Regulatory Domain for Cisco Aironet wireless access points

niguss.mehari
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

I am a Network Administrator. I have one question today. I have tried to read about regulatory domains and their effect on the wireless network. But, I couldn't identify the exact effect of the regulatory domain of devices that produce in one domain and will deploy in another domain on their wireless network performance (in-terms of frequency, bandwidth, throughput, etc.). So, anyone who have clear and detail explanation about the effect of these regulatory domains on the wireless network devices (like, wireless access points) and the network performance?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thank you,

You are right, for Cisco 1850 series.

In our case, we have Cisco1570 series outdoor APs, that is why I have seen in different way from you.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

pieterh
VIP
VIP

IF the AP is stand-alone, then operating in a different regulatory domain has no technical limitation, only legal.
That is you may be able to operate the AP at a frequency or power level that is not allowed at the operation domain
The other way around an AP may have in its firmware a limitation on channels and power levels you can use, so you are not able to use all frequencies and power levels allowed in the operating domain.

When using a WLC , the WLC is also configured with one or more operation domains, this is more complex because there are many combinations, but basically will enforce a common delimiter untill each AP is configured in the controller with the domain that is setup in its firmware.
In this situation you need to be aware not to activate an AP on a location that is not its regulatory domain, because of above constraints.
you will find posts that advice using a single regulatory domain per controller to avoid making those config mistakes by accident.

Most of this will not influence actual performance unless the result is that there are not enough channels available to obtain maximum bandwidth (combine channels to 80MHz channel)

Thank you very much Pieterh,

The AP is controller based, we have Cisco WLCs. We already have -E regulatory domain Cisco indoor and outdoor access points those are working well. Now, our organization purchased Cisco -H regulatory domain outdoor APs and we have already configured additional country code (CN, China) on the WLC and have joined.

My worry is, if there may be any performance issues related to the power level that could be affect the RF signal. As you mentioned I have read that:

-E regulatory domain supports:

2.412 to 2.462 GHz, 11 channels
    5.500 to 5.580 GHz, 5 channels
    5.660 to 5.700 GHz, 3 channels

-H regulatory domain supports

2.412 to 2.462 GHz, 1 channels
     5.745 to 5.825 GHz, 5 channels

So, if I understand your explanation, the difference in number of channel may affect the total bandwidth.

Thanks again for your timely response.

according to the cisco 1850 series data sheet:

H (H regulatory domain):
● 2.412 to 2.472 GHz; 3 nonoverlapping channels, channels 1-13 total
● 5.150 to 5.350 GHz; 8 nonoverlapping channels
● 5.745 to 5.825 GHz; 5 nonoverlapping channels

Thank you,

You are right, for Cisco 1850 series.

In our case, we have Cisco1570 series outdoor APs, that is why I have seen in different way from you.

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card