cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing WCS with some new supported product

kasper123
Level 4
Level 4

We are using WCS-Standard-K9 with a license for 100 AP installed on a Server 2003 and since Server 2003 is now EOL we need to move it to Server 2008 or Server 2012 but unfortunately WCS does not support Server 2008 or Server 2012.

What are our options for some new product that has the same functionality?

The WCS is currently covered with software support for one more year. Is there some option to upgrade to some supported product or do we have to buy some new product?

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you can upgrade to Prime Infrastructure.  

Talk to your AM/SE and they should be able to give you discounts to PI and port the license from WCS to PI for free.

Can you give me some more details about PI? is the migration from WCS to PI free or just discounted? I see that there is an option to run it as virtual appliance and as an appliance.

Is the virtual appliance free?

Regards.

There is no migration to PI from WCS. PI doesn't run on a Windows server like WCS. What Leonis suggesting is to speak with your Cisco SE and see if they can give you a discount on moving to PI. The VM software is free, you just need to buy the license. So actually, you can download it and run the evaluation license and try it out for a while to see if it's something you still want. The licensing is different from WCS and Prime Infrastructure (PI)

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

When I wrote migration I actually meant moving on to PI. It's not a problem to configure it from scratch. 

So if the VM appliance is free and the WCS is currently covered under a software contract does that mean that the moving on to PI can be done for free?

Regards.

You will need to pay a small amount to be able to use PI (from WCS).  Think of it as buying the PI software.  You can MOVE or PORT your WCS license to PI for free.   

And don't even dream of "exporting" your WCS data to PI.  You're better off doing everything from scratch with PI.  Less hassles.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card