Helpful
Replies

Same VLAN 2 different SSID's.

dreyes13
Level 1
Level 1

WLANC -  Cisco 5508 series

AP's - 3502i's

In the past there have been test SSID's created that basically mirrored production SSID's using the same VLAN, Flexconnect and Radius information with the exception being security encryption and SSID name. Ive tried this recently but have had issues with PC's not authenticating as well as getting really bad latency issues when running speed tests. 

Since this was done in the past, I was under the impression that 2 different SSID's can use the same VLAN, but I'm starting to think that this is what is giving us issues. 

4 Replies 4

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

You should be able to use 2 SSIDs on one vlan. What authentication  issues are you having? what code version are you running on the controller?

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

8.0.133.0 is the controller software currently on the device.

One SSID is using WPAENT TKIP encryption, while the other is set to use WPA2 AES. Our devices authenticate to the domain using AD Radius servers. 

So once a device connects to the SSID we created, the device will start to have severe issues with latency, even though its connecting to a security encryption that allows faster speeds and on a 5ghz band. As for authentication issues, if i hover over the wifi icon it will display "Unauthenticated" and when searching for the client on the WLC, instead of showing the username of the person connected to the SSID it will just display the host name, for example: host/PC00-OF12345.company.com instead of COMPANY/jdoe. 

Thanks!

ROBERT T
Level 4
Level 4

I do this in multiple places. AP is in flexconnect, simply put the same vlan number in for the SSID to vlan mapping. The encryption type doesn't matter. One of mine PSK while the other is 802.11x.

I'm going to touch base with one of our Sysadmins to see if the issues I'm encountering are GPO related or Radius related. But I do have both SSID's on the same VLAN. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: