cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Security-risk Interferer 'WiFi Inverted' is detected.

thomas03usmcsf
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have any solid information on this warning?  I found a few things online, but nothing great.  Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Actually, spectrally inverted is swapping the I and Q arms of the signal.

I(n)' = Q(n);

Q(n)' = I(n);

That just looks like noise to any WIFI chip, other than for Long Preamble 11b.
Inverted: I/Q (in-phase/quadrature) modulation is inverted, compared to the 
802.11 spec

Do you maybe have more information about this?

I receive that alarm around 10-30 times a day on our campus. WCS treats this alarm with a Severity of Critical and thus I receive the email. But the email does not really contain any details.

Is there a way to troubleshoot this issue on the controllers?

Is there a way to found out which controller raised the alarm?

The alarm usualy goes away after 1-2 minutes.

Hi (small update)

We also have still quite a few of those messages. Running Controller 7.0.230.0 and WCS 7.0.230.0 and many 3500 and 1142 APs.

I once checked a few of those alerts and they seemed to come from old iPhones 3G running a 3.x iOS release. Might be a software issue on those models. But that is just a guess on my side. I haven't invested all that much time into it.

Have you got any more information about this, or are we the only ones receiving this kind of errors?   

take a look at this previous thread.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3460743#3460743

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi patoberli

I have a customer with the same problem. Every day he got also about 20 "security risk "WIFI Inverted" is detected" per day.My customer has many 3502 APs, and the wism i running 7.0.116.

I have tried to find the inverted WIFI, with my spectrum expert card. I can see the inverted WIFI with spectrum expert, but I was not able to find them physically. After 1-2 minutes they disapeer again.

So I see a semilar problem like you patoberli.

You wrote that it possible was and old iPhone 3G with IOS 3.x. Have you invested more time into this ?

I hope to here from you :-)

Soren

Hi Soren

No I haven't spent anymore time. I actually don't even remember how I found the Macaddress of those "Inverted Wifi" devices. But like you, they disappear after some seconds/minutes and thus I don't really care.

-

pato

Updating this older thread with some info.  I was running spectrum expert around a new 3500 AP, and I noticed "WiFi Inverted" signals detected when the AP was in monitor or Spectrum Expert mode.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card