Views
Helpful
Replies

Setup Small Wireless network

bikoo106
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have 4 cisco 1142 autonomous access point. with Catalyst 3560-X Series PoE+, i need to cover two floors with the same SSID.

is one AP as Access point and the other 3 as repeater will be a good solution ?

Thanks

18 Replies 18

Thanks, but i need to have one SSID on 4 AP's to cover two floors so  repeater mode will be a good solution ? 

1. Open your router settings page
  2. Create a unique password on your router
  3. Change your Network's SSID name
  4. Enable Network Encryption Filter MAC addresses.
  5. Reduce the Range of the Wireless Signa
  6. Upgrade your Router's firmware

Repeater mode is never a good solution. Why do you want to go that way? Is there no way to bring ethernet-cables to each AP?

Hello Karsten,

all of them will be connected to the same Cisco switch but in different locations, i need to make sure the AP's signal is covering all the two floors ( home ), so what will be the best solution ?

Thanks,

Your best solution is to have all 4 aps wired and connected to a switch. Repeaters don’t work very good at all and you will be very disappointed in the performance. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

This what i'm planning but i need to know what is the configuration for the 4 ap's

Access Point
Root Bridge 
Non-Root Bridge 
Root Bridge with Wireless Clients 
Non-Root Bridge with Wireless Clients 

Workgroup Bridge

Thanks. 

All are "Access-Point" and are configured with nearly the same settings for wireless. For the 2.4 GHz channels you need to do some planning. Most likely the two APs that have to biggest distance between them will share the same channel (only 1, 6 and 11 should be used). On 5 GHz configure all APs with different channels.

Thank you so much for your advise, Lets say i'll configure 2.4 Ghz interface  on all AP's  SSID to Home

so if the device in between two AP's i'll see one or two SSID ? and how the roaming between the AP's 

You will see one SSID. But your wireless devices can see that this SSID is available on multiple APs and will choose the best one to connect to.

just a little warning.

"and will choose the best one to connect to" is true initially.

but you have no control of roaming with autonomous access points, it is the client device that devices when to roam.

the client device will try to keep the connection to the first ap as long as possible!

if the client finds the original AP "good enough" it may decide NOT to roam, even when you stand near an AP with a much stronger signal.

Here are some tips for you.

1. Confirm your WiFi Signal Coverage Area
  2. Choose the right cable
  3. Consider the Cabling
  4. Choose the Right WiFi Standard
  5. Setting up Guest Wi-Fi
  6. Confirm Business Network Security
  7. Check Devices’ Wi-Fi Adapter

Thank you for your help guys i'll let you know incase if i need any help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: