cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Splash page on WLC 5508 w/o authentication

aweise
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 5508 WLC where we have an SSID specifically for guest internet access. I want to create a splash page so that users hit the page before accessing the internet, but I don't need to do any authentication. Everything I can find on the product configuration guide says you can do web passthrough, but we can't do layer 2 authentication at the same time (layer 2 with a PSK is preferred). 

Is there something I can set up where users associate to the SSID with a pre-shared key, reach the splash page (with no authentication required), click a box or provide an email address on this page, and then get access to the internet? 

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
That is not how that works. It is best for guest users to only hit a portal page and not have to configure any PSK. There is no real reason to have a PSK when you want to use a portal page.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks, Scott. Is that generally a best practice or will it technically not work to have a PSK and a splash page at the same time?

Our goal is really to log users that connect to the SSID so we know when they got in, when they disconnected, etc.

It is best practice to only use one or the other. Like I mentioned, for guest, it is best practice to use a portal page only. Put yourself as a guest user, young and old, are you able to find the psk and know how to enter that correctly without fat fingering the psk? Even your portal page has to be simplified to make it easy for all ages to see the portal, read it, which they won’t, but click accept and get on the guest network. Hope this helps clarify things.
-Scott

Hi. We are attempting to do the same thing. We would like to have a splash page that shows an Acceptable Use Policy and then allow them to connect to the Guest network. Connecting would happen via PSK (which we would provide). We don't want any authentication to happen.

@Scott Fella I know you said it's not recommended to do this, but is it possible?

It is not possible. PSK would happen 1st before the portal.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card