Helpful
Replies

ssid hidden with special characters

youness10
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ;

I went to deploy I hidden SSID With  special characters like this :  ‡users

the issue is Windows can't connect to this SSID .

I try to add it manuel  but not work .

can you help me to correct this issue.

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
It won't work because of special characters.
Hidden SSID is no longer "safe". Hackers will consider it as a "challenge".

Hello ;

But it's work on windows 10 with Hidden SSID with special characters and not on windows 7

You will also want to consider passwords with special characters as well.  I have had issues where the same password was being used on multiple devices.  One of the devices would not join the wireless SSID because of some special characters in the password.

You can always verify that you have the latest drivers. However, is it really worth the hassle? You may just want to change the SSID so that it does not have any special characters.

Please mark helpful posts.

Hello

i try all special characters no one work .

Remove all of the special characters.

I need to put special characters to make the thing hard

Special characters doesn’t secure a wireless network.  There are tools that can look and identify the SSID.  How you secure a wireless network is with the use of 802.1x and certs.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

@Leo Laohoo wrote:
Hidden SSID is no longer "safe". Hackers will consider it as a "challenge".

Do you have some more information on this?

@Alex Pfeil wrote:

Do you have some more information on this?

A lot of publications no longer recommend hidden SSID as a safe haven.

@youness10 wrote:

I need to put special characters to make the thing hard

"hard" for who?  The clients? 

Creating an SSID based on PSK is easy for anyone to join because everyone knows the key.  On the flip side, changing the key won't be straightforward because one the key is changed, EVERYONE gets affected. 

As what Scott has said, use 802.1x and trusted certificates makes administrating the SSID a lot easier because passwords are based on the login.  

Yeah…. For example, if you have a Windows device that is configured, he or she can look at the profile to see the ssid and the psk.  Not very safe😊

-Scott

Hi ;

i have already used  802.X  with trusted certificates  with ISE 2.4 but my manager toled me to hidden wireless with special characters to be more secure .

this why I went to do this .

@youness10 wrote:

my manager toled me to hidden wireless with special characters to be more secure .

This only proves that just because your manager told you doesn't mean he knows everything.  It is your job to tell him it isn't going to happen because it isn't going to work. 

Well as you can see, some drives it doesn’t work with. So there is no work around for that unless you migrate off the devices that don’t work with the special character.
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card