cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Terrible time trying to get AIR-AP2802I-B-K9 working with 2 Ethernet connections

wjalex4
Level 1
Level 1

I have a location with a 5508 wireless controller and many 3502, 3602 and 3702 wireless access points.  All of our access points use vlan 2, so I include the command SWITCHPORT ACCESS VLAN 2 on any port connected to an access point.  All of this has been working fine.

Here's my issue --- I just added our first AIR-AP2802I-B-K9 access point, with the intention to have 2 gigabit Ethernet connections to the AP, so we have more bandwidth. I can make it work using just the ETHERNET port, but I have unsuccessful using the AUX port.  Here's my layout...

Cisco WS-C3650-24PS switch.  Switch Port 23 is connected to the 2802's ETHERNET port, and Switch Port 24 is connected to the 2802's AUX port.  Right now, I have switch port 24 SHUTDOWN.  If I do a NO SHUT on the port, the access point will disappear from the 5508 GUI, and not come back until I SHUT port 24 again.

It is my understanding that I need to create a Channel-Group and enable LAG to get this working.  Does anyone have a step-by-step on how to do this?  I have some reference material but I think I am missing steps.  Seems like this should not be that hard.

Thanks everyone --- Walter

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Don't. Enable. Both. Ports.

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
You don't need both ports to reach near maximum transfer speeds. Just use one port and you will be happy.
You would only require the second port if you run 160 MHz channels and actually have 160 MHz 2,3 Gbit/s capable clients. I don't know of one, besides other access points in "client" mode. Also with 160 MHz you probably don't have enough channels to actually use it in a company environment and also way to much noise and thus reduced performance.

My boss bought this dual-port AP specifically to see if we want to move in this direction... we support over 5000 Chromebooks in our buildings.  I will reach back out to our local Cisco dealer.  Thank you.

You don't want to move into that direction. You will rather move into the NBASE-T direction, as the 3800 model offers. That does require new switches, but works on the "old" cabling. Please note, it's also currently not providing any benefits for the 3800 (unless you run 160 MHz channels with capable clients that require the full bandwidth), so you don't need to switch AP models.

See here for more information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5GBASE-T_and_5GBASE-T

My suggestion is to stay with 2800 and attach it with 1 cable. If you have manageable switches (which I assume), use CACTI on a server to create load graphs of the switch interfaces. You will quickly see, that you probably never reach 500 Mbit/s on an AP for more than 5 minutes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card