Views
Helpful
Replies

Think twice before moving from 8.2 to 8.5 on 5508

lecabral
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share a recent experience that may avoid you some headaches.

Last november we upgraded one of our WLCs from 8.2.166 to the still (Feb-18-2020) recommended version 8.5.151. A couple of days after the upgrade some users started reporting bad performance. These users use tablets connecting to 1572 APs in RAP and MAP mode in an outdoor environment. We knew coverage was not full in that area, but users were saying that they noticed severe performance degradation since a few days. We spent hours and hours checking logs, performance, the tablets looking for recent patches, performed long site surveys, and even opened a TAC case to know if anything in the new version could be adversely affecting users in this condition. We found nothing and TAC concluded that the issue was due to poor coverage.

In december we also hit bug CSCvq81388, we noticed this when users reported that the outdoor network was barely functioning and we found one of the main RAPs to have its 5G radio going up and down. 

The last thing I was suspecting was some issue with radius authentication agains ISE, but I had no time to finish investigating that because we decided to go back to 8.2.166 and see if the issues dissapear. They did.

So, I hope this experience help you guys. We'd like to upgrade once there is a stable version. 

Cheers,

LeoC.

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card