Views
Helpful
Replies

TX Power Level Global

Maddin B
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

my access points are all at TX Power on Global. I can see that many only stand on TX Power Level 5. However, this is not enough to expose the WLAN far enough. If I manually set the access points to Power Level 1 or 2, my wireless network is optimal for the broadcast.

How does the WLC set the power level?

4 Replies 4

Hi,

This is a classic problem. Theoretically, the WLC should identify the proper requirement and ajust the AP power accordingly. However, very often we can see that this does not happen. If you have just a few AP you can change to custom and then set a better value but for large environment that´s not an option.

Take a look on TPC (Transmit Power control), below I´m providing you a link. There are two version of TPC and you can play with that. 

Take some time to carefully  read this and you will more confident to change WLC parameters.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_RRM_White_Paper/b_RRM_White_Paper_chapter_0101.html

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Thanks for the first help. I also have a Cisco Prime in use so I could see clearly that TX Power Level 5 is far too low.

I actually have more than 100 AccessPoints. That's why manual adjustment is not the answer.

I can see that many only stand on TX Power Level 5.However, this is not enough to expose the WLAN far enough.

In wireless, better to have APs operate closer to client power level. If AP operate in higher power levels, clients can hear AP, but AP can't hear (which mean clients get good signal, but unable to communicate with AP). Therefore it is not a good idea to set power level 1,2 on APs to make the WiFi coverage area large.

AP-CLIENT-Power.JPG

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Maddin B wrote:

my access points are all at TX Power on Global. I can see that many only stand on TX Power Level 5. However, this is not enough to expose the WLAN far enough.

Main reason is probably because there is co-channel interference. 

@Maddin B wrote:

If I manually set the access points to Power Level 1 or 2, my wireless network is optimal for the broadcast.

Manually increasing the Tx power without fully understanding WHY it automatically adjusted to a lower power may significantly cause issues to the wireless network.  If there, for example, the reason why the power is set mid-level is due to co-channel interference and the power was manually set to high, how is this going to help the wireless clients? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card