Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding Various AP-IOS Flash Corruption Issues

panayiotiscy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Team,

So we are about to upgrade a wlc pair for our customer and as a pre-requisite we are following the instructions of this document:https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/213317-understanding-various-ap-ios-flash-corru.html#anc22

The python/pip are successfully installed, edited the config.ini to match our information and gave it a shot.

After a while, the results are printed but It seems that we are facing a fundamental error for all APS:

<snip>

Errors
============================================================
AP connection error: Telnet instance has no attribute 'get_transport': 92

AP connection error: timed out : 15
AP connection error: telnet connection closed: 2
============================================================

Has anyone faced the same error? Any tips/ideas ?

To note, we are using windows server 2012-64bit instead of the Win10 purely because this is the only available server to access the management network of the WLC. Also, telnet client is enabled on the Windows Server.

Thank you

Panayiotis

18 Replies 18

Looks correct. 

Then I'm out of ideas sorry. 

Honestly, I haven't yet seen people complaining about broken images on their AP here on the forum.

Thus my suggestion is:

Upgrade to the latest WLC version, 8.3.150.0 was released today, it includes the flash corruption fix. Same as 8.8.120.0 and 8.5.140.0. Then, before rebooting the WLC, pre-load the new image to all APs. If that shows as successful, the chances are very good that they will come up as soon as you reboot the WLC correctly.

If you've seen this behaviour with your APs, what model of APs are most affected?

hello leo,

it fails for all of them regardless of AP model

Here is one way:
1. Make sure each AP still have the RCV sub-directory.
2. Go to each AP and erase the CAPWAP image.
When the bug hits, the AP will reboot and will be forced to load the RCV image. The AP will then join the WLC and download the AP.
Monitor the WLC and make sure to always erase the CAPWAP image.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card