Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from NCS to Prime

Hi.

I am trying to upgrade from NCS ver 1.1.1.24 to Prime 1.2. With the script ncs_patch-1.1.1.24-upgrade-pi_1.2.tar.gz.

And everything runs smooth until Stage 6 of 7., when Updating Database Schema .. is starting

Stage 6 of 7: Updating Database Schema ...

: This could take long time based on the existing data size.

Stage 1 of 5: Pre Migration Schema Upgrade ...

-- complete. Time Taken : 0 hr, 0 min, 52 sec

Stage 2 of 5: Schema Upgrade ...

: This could take long time based on the existing data size.

Here everything stops. I have waited for 5 hours now is this normal?

Regards

Johan

23 Replies 23

MATS KARLSSON
Level 1
Level 1

I now experience similar problems.

I right now trying to upgrade from NCS ver 1.1.1.24 to a new Prime 1.3 clean OVA installation.

I attempted the restore database from 1.1.1.24 to prime 1.3 clean OVA install.

I the first attempt the database restore corrupted the applications so and was never possible to start again.

I needed to redo the OVA installation.

Now I´m in on my second try to resore with a new dackup file but ssh session timesout after about 6 hours and

I do not have a clue if it still doing some restore work or not.

Do any one know how to verify if there is activity ongoing with restore ??

("show restore history" is empty)

I afraid that I might use the “ncs start” to early and corrupt the restore process.

/mats

Please run the restore from a console port to keep the session from timing out.

Thanks !

But do you mean I should type in my hole starting command one again ?

In my case:

"restore ncsprod-130812-0944.tar.gpg repos mlan-ftp-repo application NCS"

Does it not then, start all over again, from the beginning ??

What I would do is::

1) ncs db reinitdb

2) rerun the entire restore command again from a console port

why?  who knows what shape the DB is in since the restore session timed out part way through the process:::

Ok !

Yes, my SSH session timed out, but I do not know for sure that the restore process has stoped.

I hesitate to start it all over again if i do not know if it has halted or stopped.

I have a huge database ( 24 GiB)

I now have an open TAC-case on this one. The the advice is to stay calm as the logs claims it still doing something.

I would like to that the "ncs status" shows that the database server i stopped, now it is in state "running".

I would like it to be an idicator of a process goin on or not.

#ncs status

Health Monitor is stopped.

Reporting Server is Stopped

Ftp Server is Stopped

Database server is running

- - -

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It seems like the first three services failed to start or else it would show initiating or something like that. You can do an NSC stop and NSC start and see if you see any errors.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

It has not failed. It is stop and should be so.

All the services has been stopped to do the restore. Nothing was running before I started restore and i have not

restarted anything manually yet.

After I did lose my SSH session, and reconnected, I have been able to do "ncs status", and only Database i running.

So I want to verify if something is goin on or not.

(Last time I did ncs start it corrupted the application, and required reinstallation of OVA)

Good Luck with it.

My money is on "you will need to do a ncs db reinitdb then start the restore out from scratch on the console port.

I've done quiet a few of the upgrades and that's what I resorted to in order to get it to work for me::::

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I typically do a stop and start then a reboot. If that fails, then you can do the ncs db reinitdb like the other poster stated. Then if that fails, then you reinstall. I too have ran into many installs that worked, partially worked or it was just easier to just bring up a new vm or install the software again in an appliance.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card