Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade NCS 1.1.0.58 -> Prime Infrastructure 1.3 or 1.2 - license

Fredrik Hjelm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I´m about to upgrade a customers appliance box to PI 1.3. Have anyone done it? and were there any issues with license?

I guessing an upgrade to 1.2 would be almost the same, license wise. If anyone has input fram that it would also be appreciated.

Any other input regarding the upgrade is also welcomed..

Regards

Fredrik

12 Replies 12

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I actually done one yesterday with no issues. I have also done it on my lab PI VM with no issues.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Sounds great! :-)

Thanks for the input!

Then its just to be patient and let the upgrade-script run. Its a pretty large DB so I´ll guess it will take a while.

//F

Yes it will take a while.... make sure you take a snapshot before doing anything and read the release notes.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Snapshot? Its an PRIME-NCS-APL..

One last question, you did have any issues with licenenses either?

Thanks

/F

Yes I will rate answers! =)

Oh yeah.... well I had no issues with the license at all from upgrading any NCS to PI or just upgrading NCS to a new NCS either.... the biggest issue with license is from WCS to NCS.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Thanks again!

It sounds great! =)

All went fine, I dont know the exact time of the upgrade but it was finished after 18 h and the customer has + 6000 APs and + 40 WLCs added in their installation.

The only thing was that when I´m logging in, there is a pop up that warns of low disk space, but it seemed to come from a memory threshold that was passed. Memory util threshold for /dev/mapper/smosvg-optvol seems to be 60%. Over that it warns.

//F

As I stated earlier the upgrade went fine but after about three days the database service stopped and wouldnt start again. It required a reinit of the db and then restore the db from backup to get it up again.

I had a TAC case on this and they gave me info about this in bug # CSCue88178.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CSCue88178    Inline upgrade from NCS 1.1.0.58 to 1.3 fails to update db schema

Symptom:
NCS 1.1.0.58 inline upgrade to 1.3 does not mention any errors during the upgrade process. However the db schema is never actually upgraded, and thus 1.3 does not start.

Conditions:
1. Installed ncs_patch-1.1.0.58-upgrade-12.tar.gz pre-patch.
2. Performed inline upgrade to NCS 1.3.0.20

Workaround:
Do not use inline upgrade; use restore upgrade instead.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This info was not available at the time of my upgrade.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So you actually had it working forms couple days? In other words, you had to do a backup then upgrade and then do a restore.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Yes, the upgrade finished on saturday, but the Prime halted on wednesday morning. It seemed to work properly until then.

I then did the restore.

Naveen Kumar
Level 4
Level 4

Tips for upgrading to Prime Infrastructure:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-26972#comment-16744

Rich Quinlan
Level 1
Level 1

The above tips are spot-on - it's what we learned the hard way, but I'd say skip v1.2 - it was a train wreck, with so many functions not working.  1.3 with the patch has been the best version of Prime yet for us.

(By the way, we are using a V-APL on dedicated hardware and because of the version of VMware the largest 1.1 Prime (I believe "large" was the biggest at that point) was built on, it supported a max of 8CPU's.  We wanted 16CPU's for the XL Prime, so we were forced to do a backup/restore style of install - inline wasn't possible.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: