cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Firmware On 350 (AP) Repeaters & Parents

pwhiteley
Level 1
Level 1

We're starting to use repeaters (using 350APs) more in our WLAN infrastructure.

On testing firmware upgrades locally within my WLAN lab that contains 2 root APs and 2 repeaters (all the same SSID / WEP settings) when you upgrade the firmware to the repeaters (either through the browser or via distribution) the repeaters will not reassociate with the parent (root AP) after the firmware flash. Trying to access the repeaters via the parent APs association table is not possible. If you click on the repeater's IP address, the browser eventually times out, and if you click on the repeater's MAC address, you get to the screen where you have the Ping facility but the repeater will not Ping. The only way to get the repeater to associate to the parent is to Hyperterminal into the unit via the serial connection, reset the unit to factory defaults and reset the unit completely. I've tried warm and cold boots via the Hyperterminal screen but the repeater will still not associate. Only after a complete reset do I get any joy. Additionally, upgrading the firmware on the parent unit confuses the repeaters as one of them detected an intrusion (or words to that effect) of an unencrypted packet and I had to re-WEP the repeater before it would associate again.

I was trying to upgrade from firmware version 11.21 to 11.23. Obviously I don't want to start deploying the new firmware to repeaters (and parents) at remote sites (I've already duplicated the above scenario on a repeater at a local live site) otherwise my customers will be very unhappy.

I've not seen anyone else discuss this problem, has anybody had a similar experience or is aware of this (possible) problem and knows of a fix?

I've never had a problem upgrading firmware on repeaters (or parents) on our stock of 630/640/4800 Aironet units.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 Reply 1

pwhiteley
Level 1
Level 1

Never mind!

I've just read the open caveats in the Release Notes for firmware version 11.23 highlighting this exact problem with 11.21.

I'm now writing out 100 times 'I must read the release notes first.'

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card