cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS 7.0.240.0 data export to Prime 1.2.1.012 ... HELP!!

mjohnson1914
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Fellow Engineers,

I'm trying to migrate old data from WCS 7.0 to Prime 1.2 ... I have already created the zip file from WCS and imported it into the defaultRepo on Prime.  I see it in the directory when I do a show repository defaultRepo so I have confirmed that it is there.  My issue is that it appears Prime 1.2.1.012 won't accept the cli command of ncs migrate. 

So, can someone let me know how I can proceed with the migration?  I haven't been able to find any similar command in the Prime CLI so at this point I'm lost as to where I should go from here.  I really don't want to have to tell the customer they have to downgrade to Prime 1.1 in order for them to perserve their maps especially since the Deployment Guide for Prime Infrastructure states that it is possible to migrate date from WCS 7.0 to Prime 1.2 as shown below ...

Data Migration

Data can be migrated from WCS 7.0, NCS 1.1, or LMS 4.x. More details on migrating data from each of these applications are spelled out in the following sections.

From WCS

You must upgrade the Cisco WCS server to one of the following releases before you attempt to perform the migration process to Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2:

This section provides instructions on how to migrate the WCS on either a Windows or Linux server to Cisco Prime Infrastructure.

Exporting Data from WCS

Export data from WCS 7.x through the CLI. The export userdata CLI command is available in WCS Release 7.x and later, which creates the ZIP file that contains the WCS data file. The CLI does not provide any option to customize what can be exported; all nonglobal user-defined items are exported. Complete these steps in order to export WCS data:

1. Stop the WCS server.

2. Run the export command through the script file and provide the path and export filename when prompted.

3. For Linux, run the export.sh all/data/wcs.zip command.

For Windows, run the export.bat all \data\wcs.zip command.

Importing Data into Cisco Prime Infrastructure

Complete the following steps to migrate data from WCS:

1. Place the WCS export ZIP file (for example, wcs.zip) in a repository or folder (for example, repositories).

2. Log in as the admin user and stop the Cisco Prime Infrastructure server by entering the ncs stop command. Configure the FTP repository on the Cisco Prime Infrastructure appliance using the repository command as shown in configuration snippet below:

pi-appliance/admin# configure

pi-appliance/admin(config)# repository pi-ftp-repo

pi-appliance/admin(config-Repository)# url ftp://209.165.200.227/backup

pi-appliance/admin(config-Repository)# user ftp-user password plain ftp-user

Note: Make sure the archived file is available with the show repository <repositoryname> command.

3. Enter the ncs migrate command in order to restore the WCS database.

pi-appliance/admin# ncs migrate wcs-data wcs.zip repository pi-ftp-repo

4. By default, no WCS events are migrated. Enter the ncs start command in order to start the Cisco Prime Infrastructure server after the upgrade is completed. Log in to the Cisco Prime Infrastructure user interface with the root login and the root password.

Any HELP on this would be greatly appreciated!!! 

Thanks in advance!!!!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to migrate to NCS 1.1 then upgrade to Prime infrastructure.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

"Data can be migrated from WCS 7.0, NCS 1.1"

You need to load a VM of 1.1.x to be able to migrate your data.  Once that is done, pull a backup and upgrade to 1.2

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to migrate to NCS 1.1 then upgrade to Prime infrastructure.

-Scott

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

"Data can be migrated from WCS 7.0, NCS 1.1"

You need to load a VM of 1.1.x to be able to migrate your data.  Once that is done, pull a backup and upgrade to 1.2

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Thanks Guys ... so the Deployment Guide is wrong huh?

So, there isn't a way to downgrade from 1.2 to 1.1??  If not, the process I have to proceed with is to have the customer load another VM of NCS 1.1 and then upgrade that to 1.2?

You need to remove the PI 1.2 and have them install the NCS 1.1 then upgrade from there.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is misleading because if you look at what you posted, it show NCS 1.1 for the migration but it does mention WCS to PI 1.2.

Data Migration
#
Data can be migrated from WCS 7.0, NCS 1.1, or LMS 4.x. More details on migrating data from each of these applications are spelled out in the following sections.

-Scott

Yeah that's why I thought it would work ... lessons learned for me because this is my first time doing a migration.  If you don't mind can you tell me if it would be worth me just migrating the data to NCS 1.1.24 and then installing the patch so I can just go right to Prime 1.3??

Yes... I would migrate to NCS 1.1.1.24 (this is what I normally do on all my migrations).  When the VM is up, then you put your license in, which you might have to rehost and work that out with TAC, then patch the NCS and then upgrade.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Here is a good support doc for the WCS to NCS migration.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-26972

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Scott,

I don't have a FTP client ... I typically use TFTPd for any upgrades I have to do.  I thought I could use this to transfer the patch and export.zip to NCS?  However, when I tried to run the patch install it gives me this error ...

% Manifest file not found in the bundle

Can you tell me if you have experienced this before?  Also if it's a problem with me using TFTPd can you recommend a FTP client application that I should use.

Thanks!

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There was issues with tftp and it might be what your hitting. Also the error also might mean that the image was corrupt. Check the md5 using a free md5 checker. Also I use 3cdeamom which is a tftp and FTP server.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card