Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS - WLC Compatibility

John Lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello;

I have a mix of controllers running different levels of Operating System, I am looking to upgrade all of these to 7.3.112, what I need to know is what effect this will have on my WCS. I have looked at the compatibility matrix and can see that I would need to upgrade to NCS 1.2.1.12 in the future but would I still be able to register my WLC's to WCS and/or what features would I lose?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks;

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 7.3 WLC would not be manageable from WCS.  The nice thing about the releationship between WLC and PI, is generally PI > WLC good to go.

So if you upgrade to PI, which you do need to do eventually, you should still be able to manage all your WLC.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I have 4 locations on 7.4 code with wcs. I use wcs more for ap placement and alerts. About two weeks ago one locations wcs refuses to sync a set of controllers. Moving to prime in coming weeks..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

If your WLCs currently added to WCS & then you upgrading WLC to higher versions, still you able to manage your WLC through WCS.

But if you are trying to add a new WLC with a version number higher than the WCS, then it will fail.(So option is to downgrade the WLC & then added to WCS & then do the WLC upgrade). Refer table 8 of the below link for WCS compatible WLC versions

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

If you want to keep the WCS then that is the way to do it. Best would be if you could move to prime infrastructure.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful resposnes ****

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card