Views
Helpful
Replies

Webauth public certificate/DNS problem - using the virtual interface 192.0.2.1

m.s.rees1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Just wondering if any one could confirm or have a solution here...

We've installed a public certificate on our WLC for webauth purposes. The certicate is installed and working well.

The problem...

We're using webauth on the virtual interface of 192.0.2.1 which needs to resolve to the correct name (which has been set up for the virtual interface) for the certificate to fully verify. Unfortuntely our webauth connection is on a completely separate interface to our network and does not have it's own DNS; it uses google. The problem then, is that the name can't resolve and the security warning is still being displayed through the browser.

Has anyone come up against the same scenario?

Someone suggested making a public DNS entry but our ISP said this wasn't possible (obviously because it's a 192.0.2.1 address).

The only option I am seeing at the moment is setting up a DNS server... unless anyone as a suggestion.

thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

m.s.rees1
Level 1
Level 1

I have actually solved this problem. When speaking with the ISP they were actually able to add the entry for me (there was confusion the first time around). On testing the webauth page, it now loads to the log in page and the certifiate that is being presented is valid. No more security errors!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

m.s.rees1
Level 1
Level 1

I have actually solved this problem. When speaking with the ISP they were actually able to add the entry for me (there was confusion the first time around). On testing the webauth page, it now loads to the log in page and the certifiate that is being presented is valid. No more security errors!

ds1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, no idea if you will answer this but how did you solve this?

ISP said this wasn't possible (obviously because it's a 192.0.2.1 address).

This sounds legit because how would public clients resolve to this?

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card