Views
Helpful
Replies

Wi-Fi Authentication

Scott Hanson
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have a situation where I have inherited some old HP wireless access points (no change to Cisco coming anytime soon) and I need a way to force users to a landing page where they can input a common password  before gaining access to the Internet.  I need this to be a solution that is fairly inexpensive.  This is a hotel environment so each user needs to be force to authenticate.

Thanks in advance.  replies rated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

What about Colubris which I think HP bought, btw .. I think Scott mentioned a free one a while back but checking my links for that one ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The cisco WLCs allow you do have a landing page and you can create a local account to allow users to use. It seems like you want to do this with an HP solution. If so, you might want to hit up HP they might have this built into their boxes.

You have another option like NOMADIX that is a guest box.

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Thanks.  I was looking for suggestion like Nomadix.  I checked on eBay yesterday and the pickings were slim and expensive.  Any other boxes ou there like Nomadix?

What about Colubris which I think HP bought, btw .. I think Scott mentioned a free one a while back but checking my links for that one ..

Ahh haaa!  I was not aware of the Colubris one and yes indeed this is a mix of the HP branded APs and older Colubris APs.  I am checking to see if they will do the web page redirection but it seems they do the authentication.  Kudos to you!  and many thanks.  Please post the link if you find something

I know their boxes use to do the web page. In fact i had customer installs these for the "pay for internet" option.

Im still digging ..

Thanks for supporting the rating system

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are other software like ZoneCD which was popular back in the days and free. They stopped supporting it, but you can still find the distro somewhere. You can also look at some of the ZoneCD alternatives. It's up to you I you want to I the appliance route like George mentioned or a software base solution.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: