cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless users frequently losing connection

jpeterson6
Level 2
Level 2

I've been receiving reports about users in a specific area having issues with the wireless network. The concerns seem to be twofold:

1. Users are experiencing intermittent connection issues. They seem to lose connection quite often.

2. Users have been expressing concerns that their 'wireless profiles' aren't saving when they reboot a laptop (ie, it won't auto-connect to the corporate wireless network, which is not being broadcast). Apparently, this issue does not occur when they are in another building and connecting to the same SSID with the same laptops. I'm not sure how reliable or accurate this problem is, as I cannot seem to duplicate the issue.

So far I have noticed a few things that could be the cause of the first problem.

- The affected APs are on a 'newer' controller that is also a different model than the other two controllers (4400x2 and the new one being 5500). I have a hunch that something in the settings of the new controller is the culprit, but I can't seem to figure out what it is.

- When I look at the AP event logs I'm seeing a lot of the following two messages:

- '802.11b/g/n' interface of AP 'AP-MN3-5-12' associated to controller 'mn1n51037 (10.150.100.9)' is down. Reason: Rogue Location Discovery Protocol start.

- '802.11b/g/n' interface of AP 'AP-MN3-5-12' associated to controller 'mn1n51037 (10.150.100.9)' is down. Reason: Radio channel set. 

These two alerts are showing up as 'info' level severity. Could this be a clue to the problem? Both messages occur quite frequently (<15 minutes between each message after they come back 'up').

I noticed that on the third controller, the DCA algorithm had 'Avoid non 802.11 noise' checked on the 802.11b/g/n radio while the other two controllers had this option unchecked. I unchecked and hit Apply but I'm still getting the same Info alerts. It's too early to tell if that change has improved the users experience.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

i am also seeing the RLDP related dropouts, and it is WLC 5508

Do you have RLDP enabled... if so, disable that unless you have ap in monitor mode.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

thanks Scott..seems a right hint, will give it a try

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card