cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiSM2 HA issues AP SSO 7.4

Tedwheat53
Level 1
Level 1

anyone having issues keeping stable wism2 blades reliable. Every so often our WiSM fails over and we done know why. Just curious if anyone else is having this. We have opens tac cases but as usually the issue is not easily replicated.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

7 Replies 7

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

if you look at the switch logs, are you seeing any message about losing heartbeat to the WiSM?  That would be my first thought.  If the Sup is unable to use the service VLAN to hear the WiSM, it may reboot it trying to reestablish communicaiton.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Interesting because v7.4 is suppose to be the stable version for AP SSO. Keep us posted what you find or if you end up opening a TAC case an a bug id comes out.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Describe how you set up your WiSM-2 primary and SSO blade.

Are they in different chassis?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Wii App

We have both WiSM blades in same chassis. Sup720. We have ap SSO on. When we had our issues we were having lots of radius request timeout according to Wism and our radius server was authenticate some users. I don't think there is much to set-up as far as redundancy configuration.

If they are on the same chassis then I'd be looking at your routing.

WiSM-2 in HA talk to each other on a dedicated Redundancy VLAN.  This includes the transmission of heartbeat packets to determine if the primary WiSM-2 is still active or not.

As per documentation, the Redundancy VLAN should be a Layer 2 and should not be spanned across the network or have a Layer 3 interface.

Can you check this?

Tedwheat53
Level 1
Level 1

Ok I'll have to look at the redundancy vlan to see what it's set as. Do you run you 6500 in VTP transparent to keep vlan local?

Most of the time it works and it's in hot standby. But every once in awhile it fails. But could be because of lost heartbeats.

Do you run you 6500 in VTP transparent to keep vlan local?

Transparent.

Most of the time it works and it's in hot standby. But every once in awhile it fails. But could be because of lost heartbeats.

Good question is WHY.  The redundancy VLAN will only exist in the VLAN database.  It won't have an interface.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card