cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN operating modes (Flex/Local) and default AP group

derek.small
Level 5
Level 5

I'm setting up several wireless controllers for several sites, all 3504s or 5520s running 8.5.161.  The 5520s will be deployed in HA at the primary site and will provide wireless for the main site, and all the smaller remote sites (1-2 APs each).  We want to use the same EAP-TLS enabled SSID at all sites supported by the 5520s. The main site uses IDFs which are routed, and cannot support a common Vlan, so we need to use Local mode.  We don't want to back-haul all the traffic from the remotes however, so would prefer to use Flex for the remote sites.  I've created two different WLans on another install where one used Flex and one used Local.  Then I create an AP-group for the main site which included the Local WLAN, and a different AP-group for the remotes which used the Flex WLAN. In this config the WLANs were not automatically added to the default AP group.  I'm trying to use the same config again on this install, but when I try to enable two WLANs with the same SSID and security settings, I get an error that says I cannot have two WLANs with the same SSID and security settings enabled at the same time.  I noticed that all my WLANs, as soon I create them, get added to the default AP-Group with this config, which I think is my problem.  Why are my WLANs automatically being assigned to the default AP group, and how can I removed them from that group?  I believe if I have an AP group that only includes my Flex enabled WLANs, and a different AP group which only includes my Local mode WLANs, then I shouldn't have a problem, but can't remove any of my WLANs from the default group. Why?  Is there some other way to have an SSID use local mode on some APs, and Flex on other APs?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Any new wlans you create is always assigned to the default group. You manually need to assign the wlan to each ap group that requires it. You only can duplicate SSID’s only if the wlan profile name is different. So give that a try. Keep in mind, any wlans that are assigned wlan id 1-16 will automatically be placed in the ap default group. If you never want to see SSID’s in that group, then you need to start using wlan id > 16.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

No problem.
-Scott

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Any new wlans you create is always assigned to the default group. You manually need to assign the wlan to each ap group that requires it. You only can duplicate SSID’s only if the wlan profile name is different. So give that a try. Keep in mind, any wlans that are assigned wlan id 1-16 will automatically be placed in the ap default group. If you never want to see SSID’s in that group, then you need to start using wlan id > 16.
-Scott

YES!! That is what I was missing!.  I forgot to start with WLAN IDs higher than 16.  Thank you!!!

No problem.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card