Views
Helpful
Replies

Wlan's and LAN's vlan best practice discussion

Tibor M
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I would like to discuss what is the best practice now for assigning vlan on WLAN and LAN (considering cisco switches and WLC)?

Are you using same VLAN as for wired connection as for WLAN? or do you have lan in different vlan then wlan?

what about mobile phones? are you using same SSID as for laptops or have different one?

I would like to have easy to use network where doesn't matter if I'm on Wifi or LAN, I will be able to use all TV's in office for streaming chromecast/dlna etc...

2 Replies 2

Hi 

I would like to discuss what is the best practice now for assigning vlan on WLAN and LAN (considering cisco switches and WLC)?

Are you using same VLAN as for wired connection as for WLAN? or do you have lan in different vlan then wlan?

it is a good idea to create separate network for security and performance reason.

what about mobile phones? are you using same SSID as for laptops or have different one?

It is a good idea to have a specific SSID for voice. There are some configuration for voice that it is not necessary for that.

I would like to have easy to use network where doesn't matter if I'm on Wifi or LAN, I will be able to use all TV's in office for streaming chromecast/dlna

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Our wired and wireless clients are on different subnets.  AP are on their own little subnet and also on their own VRF. 

We have ISE to determine if the wireless client is a SOE or not.  If SOE, ISE punts the client into corporate VLAN.  Same goes with BYOD or non-SOE.  Guest users goes to another VLAN.  Wireless VoIP handset have their own SSID since authentication is based on PSK (soon to be private-PSK).  

Medical devices is a mad-house because various medical equipment do not have any concept with wireless networking ... and the majority only supports PSK.  So these devices have their own little "world" of SSID and subnet and are heavily "corralled"in a firewall environment.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card