Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 4400- Guest Access

cisconell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have a query , I understand the web authentication flow as explained in the below doc.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008067489f.shtml,

Its talking about to have a DNS server to be configured and this DNS ip will be allocated along with the DHCP response

So can I have Public DNS directly assigned for the Guest users ? and I dont use a dedicated DNS for the Guest userr

if possible where should be it configured in the WLC

Thanks in Advance

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

In the VIP (Virtual Interface).  The link I posted should have that information.  If your not purchasing a certificate, you don't need to worry about DNS as the users will get a certificate error.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Agree with Scott

Add....

you can enter DNS here:

Regards

On the controller handling the guest traffic .. If you anchor your guest to an anchor controller then this is where it gents configured. Not the internal (foreign controller)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you plan on using a 3rd party certificate to eliminate the certificate error, you need to be able to add a DNS entry for the FQDN of the certificate to the VIP of the WLC. Using a public DNS, you will not be able to unless you can add an entry in the public domain space. So if you have a registered domain and can add alias to one of your public address, you can eliminate the certificate error. The thing you have to do is change your VIP to that of one of your public address and then when you create your CSR for your certificate, you add a DNS entry that resolves the FQDN to the VIP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a0080a77592.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Thanks Scott for the response

I just one of your previous post

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2127632

So it is possible to put the public DNS . I dont have certificate authentication

Where will be the option to add the DNS detials in the WLC

In the VIP (Virtual Interface).  The link I posted should have that information.  If your not purchasing a certificate, you don't need to worry about DNS as the users will get a certificate error.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Agree with Scott

Add....

you can enter DNS here:

Regards

Gotcha... Thanks  again guys,

So I should add this DNS entry in Guest controller and the internal WLC right ?

On the controller handling the guest traffic .. If you anchor your guest to an anchor controller then this is where it gents configured. Not the internal (foreign controller)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks all :

Let me implement this and will update here

Hi Guys

Today I tried this implemenation : but result falied

On the guest controler I entered the public DNS ip addresss

After adding it , it requested need to restar the sytem to take it in effect.

my DHCP is on a server - under the DHCP pool I pointed the DNS is public DNS

Result

I was getting an ip address , and DNS also shows the public in the ipconfig /all out put

But the webportal was getting redirected to my public DNS ip address in stead of 1.1.1.1

Any idea , what could have went wrong.

I am not sure if we have to configure on the internal controllers as well under the virtual interface

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: