Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5520 some (not all) clients get ip 0.0.0.0, ext. DHCP,

Abdullah2u
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've problem with a WLC 5520. few Clients an IP 0.0.0.0.

Software Version is 8.5.140.0 

Around 30% are not OK.

The problem is,  we are testing on our secondary wlc all AP are moving in Secondary WLC perfectly but the few client that don't get a IP address or stuck in 0.0.0.0 until we restart the AP, after restart the AP the all clients get a ip from dhcp.

We are not using DHCP in this WLAN and DHCP is not configured in the wifi profile as well as in the controller advanced settings.

Right now , The clients are connected correctly, but they got a disconnect sometimes, which we can not clarify at the moment.

29 Replies 29

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can you provide more detail. You are testing, so what are you actually doing and where are the controllers located. 
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

the problem description that we have 2 WLCs with HA-N+1 setup, when the APs joined to the secondary controller, clients didn’t get an IP address

(More clear) that the issue happen after moving Aps from Primary to Secondary Controller and some APs about 12 to 15 out of 300+ produced this malfunctioning

Client stuck in 0.0.0.0 ip address authentication state (no).  On AP reboot associating client on respective AP obtain IP as normally do.

From the debugs , I can see the client is stuck in authentication state :

Security Policy Completed........................ No

Policy Manager State............................. 8021X_REQD

No. of mDNS Services Advertised.................. 0

Policy Type...................................... WPA2

Authentication Key Management.................... PSK

Encryption Cipher................................ CCMP-128 (AES)

I think you mean N+1 since there is only two controllers. I have not seen that issue, but I assume that you have mobility up and working and verified that the vlans are defined properly.  The AP’s are in local mode correct?
-Scott

Yeah, its onmy two controler and all ap are in FlexConnect mode

Have you verified all the trunk ports the AP’s are connected to?  Also verify that you have defined the vlans on the FlexConnect group and have the proper wlan to vlan mappings. Rebooting the AP just allows the device to roam to another AP which is working. 
-Scott

I checked all are trunk ports, and vlan alreday define in FlexConnect group but wlan to vlan mapping not configured.

If you don’t have the wlan to vlan mapping, how are the devices getting placed on the correct subnet?
-Scott

We create separate DHCP pool for AP’s and for clients , after AP join the controller with define pool so we will given static ip in AP from the pool.    

Now the each flexconnect group  have separate vlan  define or each flex connect group AP and client have get a different dhcp pool.

Then we creat a different wlan groups and add ap’s and broadcast the  ssid

When I say layer three roaming, that is from the client side. If a client roams from one AP to another, they should stay on the same subnet. The subnet that the AP’s are on doesn’t matter, it’s the client. So if the client associates to AP1 and is on vlan 100, that client when roaming to AP2, AP3, etc. should stay on vlan 100. 
-Scott

If a client roam one AP to another AP they should stay on same subnet because all AP are in same flexconnect group or same vlan define in group.

That was what I was asking in my prior post. If the wlan to vlan mappings are there, all vlans on the trunk and vlans defines in the FlexConnect group, mobility up, you should be fine
-Scott

Sounds good, 

Im sure , vlan  allowed on trunk  and vlan define in flexconnect group , 

No mobility up.

no vlan maping.

what about the layer 3 roaming , i already tell you vlan central switching in unchecked as per youtkr last reply layer 3 roaming is only supported in central switching.

give me action plan.

As i already told you no mbility up and no vlan maping.

Can you post your config and edit out your snmp and confidential stuff. I need to understand what you  have configured. 
-Scott

You should always have mobility defined when using N+1. This way the controllers share information. Your issue if you are doing FlexConnect central switching or local switching is that you need mobility between the two wlc’s
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: