cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5520 with Active / Standby (RP) using LAG to Cisco 9K vPC

Barry Landon
Level 1
Level 1

Currently have two WLC5520's running with redundancy, active standby.  Each WLC has direct connection to two 9K Core switches configured with standard port-channel configuration. Switches are running HSRP.  Also LAG has been enabled at WLC. This scenario is working as intended. 

I would like to add VPC at the core switches to create a full mesh environment from two cores switches to both WLCs running lag.  Core switches are running HSRP.

I understand when you use LAG it maps all interfaces into one session but as I using two WLC (active / standby) and would like to create VPCs at the core my question is, would this work? or would the WLC see the two VPCs as two devices therefore a conflict would take place.  The idea is to have this configuration in place in case one core switch fails and therefore backup switch has reach ability to the active WLC.

2 Replies 2

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Due to inherent restriction and platform architecture of the WLC, you can't use vPC on the now legacy WLC; not to multiple switches as you'll end up with problems on the data-plane. Look at this guide for some reference:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-6/b_Cisco_Wireless_LAN_Controller_Configuration_Best_Practices.html

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Thanks for the update.  The best design is my current design.  Having two independent port-channels to both WLCs.  Ill pass this on.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card