cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5520 with Active / Standby (RP) using LAG to Cisco 9K vPC

Barry Landon
Level 1
Level 1

Currently have two WLC5520's running with redundancy, active standby.  Each WLC has direct connection to two 9K Core switches configured with standard port-channel configuration. Switches are running HSRP.  Also LAG has been enabled at WLC. This scenario is working as intended. 

I would like to add VPC at the core switches to create a full mesh environment from two cores switches to both WLCs running lag.  Core switches are running HSRP.

I understand when you use LAG it maps all interfaces into one session but as I using two WLC (active / standby) and would like to create VPCs at the core my question is, would this work? or would the WLC see the two VPCs as two devices therefore a conflict would take place.  The idea is to have this configuration in place in case one core switch fails and therefore backup switch has reach ability to the active WLC.

2 Replies 2

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Due to inherent restriction and platform architecture of the WLC, you can't use vPC on the now legacy WLC; not to multiple switches as you'll end up with problems on the data-plane. Look at this guide for some reference:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-6/b_Cisco_Wireless_LAN_Controller_Configuration_Best_Practices.html

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Thanks for the update.  The best design is my current design.  Having two independent port-channels to both WLCs.  Ill pass this on.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card