Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 9800-40 Management Interface

iwearing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I don't want to use the Service Port\OOB Interface Gig 0 for Management.

The preference is to use 2 x 10GB Uplinks in a  Port-channel between the WLC and Neighbouring switch for my Management and WLAN Vlans.

This config matches exiting 5508 WLCs. On the newer 9800s are there any restrictions which would prevent the use of this configuration?

thanks

Ian

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
This is a new controller model and you need to look at it as a switch per say. Gi0 is a virtual interface for management. You can build your port channel, create your management interface with ip and allow what ever vlan you want. So doesn’t matter if you use one port or all 4 in a port channel.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the reply.
It appears that Gi0 is used for Day 0 configuration and I can then build on my Management Interface and WLANs on a shared Port-Channel using the Ten-Gig Interfaces?

Yes you can.

Day-0 config only allow you to configure Gi0 interface or routed interfaces.

If you want to configure an SVI for management, you need to skip Day-0 config wizard and configure it in traditional way from CLI.

If you want to configure different physical interfaces for production andd management, you have to skip Day-0 config wizard.

From my point of view, Day-0 config is a basic setup for non-advanced users.

HTH
-Jesus

*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

That is correct. Create an interface vlan xxxx
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

And don't forget to set the wireless management interface VlanXXX,  or your AP's won't connect to the WLC.

Best regards,

Chris

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: