Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Memory Leak Reboot

colossus1611
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a slow memory leak noticable on WLC, and have scheduled a WLC reboot in 8 hours time to fix it temporarily. The OS is N-1 and there are no bug fixes released by Cisco to address this memory leak as yet for this OS - 8.10.112.0

Question is - if I reboot WLC, will my APs reboot too? Because I would not want them to reboot.

I got told rebooting from GUI would not reboot APs, but rebooting from CLI would reboot APs as well, but I couldn't find any Cisco documentation to verify this.

I would appreciate if someone can please confirm based on experience/know how of this.

Thanks.

16 Replies 16

Just for clarification, there are two possible redundancy modes, one is SSO (it's the better generally) and the other is two standalone WLC in a mobility group and with specific configuration on the APs (they need to have both WLC configured in their high availability tab).

For SSO, just make a redundancy failover, all APs will move to the second WLC without any traffic interruption (normally, or an extremely short one). In this case the previous WLC will reboot and then be the redundant secondary. Downside of SSO, if you do a software upgrade, both reboot at the same time, including all APs.

For two WLC (this is N+1), if you reboot the "primary" WLC, the APs will move to the second after a short time, this will cause a short traffic interruption. Advantage here is, you can upgrade the "secondary" to a new software release and then join some APs to the secondary to test the stability. If APs of the same building are split between the two WLC, then this can cause roaming issues/delays. 

[edit]

I forgot one big downside of the N+1 variant. With N+1 both WLC require enough licenses to handle all APs if the other WLC is rebooting/broken. With SSO, only the primary needs AP licenses, the secondary will inherit them. 

Thanks patoberli.

We have a redundant setup with Mobility Group setup - good to know that this means I can test secondary WLC first with the upgrade.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card