cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WPA2 key change question

Chris Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys, I am trying to change wpa2 key on an Aironet 1231g access point. Once I change they key, clients cannot authenticate to the access point unless they either change the password or forget and re add the network on the client device. Is there any way to make the client ask for a new key if the key doesn't match when authenticating?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No there is no way to force the client to ask for a new key. You could push it via a GPO but there is no other automagic way of getting the client ti ask for the new key once it's been configured.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No there is no way to force the client to ask for a new key. You could push it via a GPO but there is no other automagic way of getting the client ti ask for the new key once it's been configured.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

blakekrone
Level 4
Level 4

Like Steve said there isn't a way, it's up to the supplicant to decide how to handle that. After so many failed attempts Win7 and OSX will typically ask for the wireless password to be entered again.

I would look at using GPO's if you are using Microsoft Windows XP or newer.

I believe that GPO will not push out the pre-shared key. It will push out the other settings just not the key. What we have done in the past is use the netsh wlan export command and then create a batch file to perform the netsh wlan import. The batch file and the profile XML can be on a network drive and you can have a login script execute that or have users execute it manually. Of course, I've only done this with windows machines.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Chris Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks. Unfortunately, since most devices we are worried about are phones or tablets, the GPO option will not work. Its not a huge problem, it's for church members so we can advertise it enough and let people know how to change the key.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card