cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 WAP121s Bricked after interrupted FW upgrade?

Tom Corder
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

During an update of two WAP121s to firmware version 1.0.3.4 (currently the latest) the network connection was interrupted and they both now seem to be similarly unusable.  The wireless lights on both are now unlit, the ethernet lights flash when plugged in and the power lights correctly show orange (PoE) or green (mains) but the device is inaccessible at its original static IP address and is not requesting a new one by DHCP. I have tried using the reset button as instructed, pressing it in for 10 seconds with the power on, but it doesn't seem to have any effect at all.  Holding the reset button in whilst powering the device up makes all lights come, the power and wireless alternate for a few seconds when the reset is released and then both go out with the ethernet light still flashing.  A pretty display, but no improvement.

Any ideas?  Have we killed them?!

Tom.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Tom, I apologize for this inconvenience, could you please reach out to our Small Business Support Center and open a Service Request to address this issue? One of our Engineers may be able to work with you and diagnose the root cause. You can find the appropriate contact information for SBSC in the below link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

I hope you find this answer useful

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it”

Greetings, 
Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.
Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

View solution in original post

AberDino365
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a similar problem, but without the network connectivity interruption... Tonight I noticed there was a firmware update available for my WAP121 so I downloaded it and tried to upgrade the WAP121. The progress bar went all the way to the end, but the unit did not reboot at the end of the upgrade process. The LAN light remained green, the wireless light was off and the power light orange as usual (PoE). The unit's web interface was no longer responding so after an hour I unplugged it and then put the LAN cable back in. Nothing happened... Then fetched the power supply and the unit seems to boot. The LAN light is on and flashing as normal (network activity), the wireless light is off and the power light solid green. It's not responding on its fixed IP address and according to my DHCP server it has not requested a new IP address (in case it reset itself). Tried resetting the unit by holding the reset button 40 seconds and more (as per Eric's instructions), but nothing happens, i.e. the lights don't go off and the unit is not rebooting. Like Tom, I tried to hold the reset button while powering up the unit, but it doesn't get me anywhere.

So, I need help recovering this unit please...

Thanks in advance,

Pieter

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

I am sorry to hear about your problem. For me when I want to reset any of our Cisco devices, I normally hold the reset button 30 - 40 secs. If that does not help you, if the hostname was not changed, try accessing the unit using WAPxxxxxx.local with xxxxxx being the last 6 of the MAC address.

Beyond that please call in and let one of our engineers assist you.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866 ext 601027

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Tom, I apologize for this inconvenience, could you please reach out to our Small Business Support Center and open a Service Request to address this issue? One of our Engineers may be able to work with you and diagnose the root cause. You can find the appropriate contact information for SBSC in the below link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

I hope you find this answer useful

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it”

Greetings, 
Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.
Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

AberDino365
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a similar problem, but without the network connectivity interruption... Tonight I noticed there was a firmware update available for my WAP121 so I downloaded it and tried to upgrade the WAP121. The progress bar went all the way to the end, but the unit did not reboot at the end of the upgrade process. The LAN light remained green, the wireless light was off and the power light orange as usual (PoE). The unit's web interface was no longer responding so after an hour I unplugged it and then put the LAN cable back in. Nothing happened... Then fetched the power supply and the unit seems to boot. The LAN light is on and flashing as normal (network activity), the wireless light is off and the power light solid green. It's not responding on its fixed IP address and according to my DHCP server it has not requested a new IP address (in case it reset itself). Tried resetting the unit by holding the reset button 40 seconds and more (as per Eric's instructions), but nothing happens, i.e. the lights don't go off and the unit is not rebooting. Like Tom, I tried to hold the reset button while powering up the unit, but it doesn't get me anywhere.

So, I need help recovering this unit please...

Thanks in advance,

Pieter

Thank you all for the replies.

Pieter's situation is interesting as I am not actually sure that there was a network interruption in the second failure case but, because there certainly was with the first and the other 23 of our WAP121s updated without issue, I assumed that was what had happened.

I will follow up the suggestions to contact the Small Business Support Center.

Regards, Tom.

FYI, I've contacted Cisco Small Business Support and was advised recovery is not possible so the unit will be RMA'd.

Regards,

Pieter

Thanks for the update Pieter. I have not been in the office today but will go through the hoops tomorrow.

Update on my behalf... replacement unit received which came with old firmware so had to upgrade it to 1.0.3.4, which went fine so I'm back up and running again.

Tom Corder
Level 1
Level 1

And to follow up, after double-checking that they were not salvageable, our two units were RMA'd too.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: