Views
Helpful
Replies

AP541N Clustering and Roaming clarifications

Andrew Zizzo
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I'm looking to deploy a 2504 controller and some AP1142s but would like to provide the client with an alternative, lower initial-cost option in my proposal.  I've been researching the AP541N access points but several areas of their implementation seem unclear to me. Any help that can be lent would be appreciated.

Clustering: For the clustering feature is it necessary for the network to have other SBCS components (500 series platforms)? All of their other features are either unapplicable to or already implemented in the network in question; if I have to add another appliance I would rather go the LWAPP route and use a true WLC.

What are the cababilities of clustering? Can I implement some form of wireless resilience by spacing APs closer together than necessary and they will lower transmit dBm and intelligently respond to attempt to cover a new cell where an AP has gone down?

What about roaming? I believe Cisco advertises this as part of a small business voice solution. A client roaming between two access points in the same mobility group (cluster?) on a wireless voip phone should be able to keep connection, as it's analogus to some critical UDP communications that are going to take place on the clients.

Thanks for the information

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Andrew,

If you are looking for more of a seamless wireless infrastructure then you want to stay with the enterprise device. AP541N clustering is exactly what it means in the admin guide.

Administration guide PG: 139

The Cisco AP 541N supports access point clusters. A cluster provides a single

point of administration and lets you view, deploy, configure, and secure the

wireless network as a single entity rather than a series of separate wireless

devices.

What clustering gives you: whichever AP541 access point you log into and make changes too, then it will replicate those chances to the other AP541N; still acting as individual AP within a network. So if your customer wants a wireless roaming network then the best decision would be your initial setup implementation suggestion.

In the administration guide it does talk about roaming clients; which of course is different than wireless roaming. Roaming clients are clients moving around within a wireless topology.

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Andrew,

If you are looking for more of a seamless wireless infrastructure then you want to stay with the enterprise device. AP541N clustering is exactly what it means in the admin guide.

Administration guide PG: 139

The Cisco AP 541N supports access point clusters. A cluster provides a single

point of administration and lets you view, deploy, configure, and secure the

wireless network as a single entity rather than a series of separate wireless

devices.

What clustering gives you: whichever AP541 access point you log into and make changes too, then it will replicate those chances to the other AP541N; still acting as individual AP within a network. So if your customer wants a wireless roaming network then the best decision would be your initial setup implementation suggestion.

In the administration guide it does talk about roaming clients; which of course is different than wireless roaming. Roaming clients are clients moving around within a wireless topology.

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: