cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP 371 Radio Name and Green Ethernet

jb67
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased 3  WAP371's for a busy medical office (6 DR's going from exam room to exam room with laptops)

I intend to set them up with Single Point Configurations.

Can I name Radio 1 and Radio 2 the same names? Also, can they both share the same WPA2/AES password?

Lastly, will having green Ethernet mode enabled cause performance problems or slow connection times?

Thanks

JB

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

Hello jb67@njit.edu,

To answer your questions 

Can I name Radio 1 and Radio 2 the same names? Also, can they both share the same WPA2/AES password?   

Answer:  You can but I usually recommend having the backup as another name so if they are going to use the 5.0 radio as their primary they can connect to that one.  If they start having slow throughput due to range or depending on what the others are downloading uploading they can connect to the 2.4 radio.  Security you can keep the same if desired.

Will having green Ethernet mode enabled cause performance problems or slow connection times?  I have not seen this be an issue, but if it is a concern you can disable it.

Regards,

Michael D.

If this post is helpful please rate or mark as correct.

View solution in original post

Also with the WAP371 there is another option to consider.

Band Steer - When checked and both radios are up. It effectively utilizes the 5-GHz band by steering dual-band supported clients from the 2.4-GHz band to the 5-GHz band.
– It is configured on a per-VAP basis and needs to be enabled on both the radios.
– It is not encouraged on VAPs with time-sensitive voice or video traffic.
– It does not consider the n-bandwidth of the radio. Even if the 5-GHz radio happens to use 20 MHz bandwidth, it tries to steer clients to that radio.

This is very effective when you use the same security on both radios. Like Mr. Dobiac, I also would make both SSIDs a little different.

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

Hello jb67@njit.edu,

To answer your questions 

Answer:  You can but I usually recommend having the backup as another name so if they are going to use the 5.0 radio as their primary they can connect to that one.  If they start having slow throughput due to range or depending on what the others are downloading uploading they can connect to the 2.4 radio.  Security you can keep the same if desired.

Will having green Ethernet mode enabled cause performance problems or slow connection times?  I have not seen this be an issue, but if it is a concern you can disable it.

Regards,

Michael D.

If this post is helpful please rate or mark as correct.

Also with the WAP371 there is another option to consider.

Band Steer - When checked and both radios are up. It effectively utilizes the 5-GHz band by steering dual-band supported clients from the 2.4-GHz band to the 5-GHz band.
– It is configured on a per-VAP basis and needs to be enabled on both the radios.
– It is not encouraged on VAPs with time-sensitive voice or video traffic.
– It does not consider the n-bandwidth of the radio. Even if the 5-GHz radio happens to use 20 MHz bandwidth, it tries to steer clients to that radio.

This is very effective when you use the same security on both radios. Like Mr. Dobiac, I also would make both SSIDs a little different.

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Makes sense on the band steer since it is a mixed environment with mostly A/B/G/N adapters.

Thanks for the info I followed ur advice