Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP 4410 N setup

ian
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new 4410N access point.

In trying to set it up out of the box for the first time, I have logged on to the default IP address and can see the first page asking for username and password.

Using the default admin and admin I get an invalid user or password error.

I have reset the unit a number of times with no change

Any ideas please to access the unit

18 Replies 18

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

First of all Thank You for purchasing a Cisco Small Business product. I am sorry that you have been unable to get into your new device. When you hold down the reset button, try holding it for greater thn 30 secs. When doing a factory reset on any of our devices, I will usually hold that button down for about 35 to 45 seconds.

This should reset your device back to factory settings. Then log into the the default IP address 192.168.1.245, and the username and password will be admin - admin.

If that does not work, If you are still within the store return policy for where you bought the device I would exchange it. If not you can give us a call at the support center, 1-866-606-1866, After checking the serial number and some further troubleshooting, we could offer you a replacement, if the product is deemed defective. However just so that you know, your replacement unit would most likely be a refurbished unit. That is why I would suggest going to the place of purchase first.

Thank you

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866

pthao_efc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! My name is Paul. I'm new at this and our company recently purchased a couple of WAP4410N and I am having trouble setting them up, out of the box.

When I plug everything in, I can't access the default IP address: 192.168.1.245.

When I connect to it, this is what I get from my wireless connection:

IP: 10.1.XX.XXX

Subnet mask: 255.2XX.XXX.X

Default Gateway: 10.1.X.X

When I enter my the IP address: 10.1.XX.XX it will ask for a username and password. I type in admin for username and password and it will not work.

On the WAP4410N device, all the lights are green, except for PoE.

I tried reseting it, but no luck.

Please help, THANKS!

Hi Paul,

Thank you for posting. I suspect that when you are typing 10.1.XX.XX you are reaching the router or another device. The easiest way to ensure you are reaching the WAP4410N is to plug it directly into a PC that has a static IP address such as 192.168.1.200, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, no gateway or DNS. Hold the reset button on the WAP4410N for 15 seconds and you should be able to reach it at 192.168.1.245. After you get in give it a static IP address in the 10.1.x.x subnet and plug it back into the network. Remember to change the PC back to DHCP.

Please reply if you have any questions.

Hey Paul, Sorry to hear about your trouble.

It sounds your network is on a 10.1.X.X network and it is pulling an IP from your network when you turn it on. What I sould suggest is to unplug the device from the network, do a factory reset and then turn it come up without being on the network. Once it is stable plug your PC directly into it and give your PC a 192.168.1.X IP address. You should then be able to get into your device and configure it. I would save changing your WAP4410N IP until the very last. At that point, then plug into your network and it should be recognized and functioning.

Please let me know if this helps.

Eric Moyers
1-866-606-1866

Mpyhala and Eric, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

The reason why I could not access it because I have it connected to my network. Even though if I changed my IP address in the TCP/IP settings. I was not able to logged into the WAP4410N. Come to think of it, there is no way I can connect my Ethernet cable from my laptop to the WAP4410N because there is no communication going into the WAP4410N with only 1 Ethernet connection port. I tried it with a switch, that's why my WAP4410N was communicating with my network.

So, this time I unplugged it and did a factory reset. Plugged in 1 end of the Ethernet port in the WAP4410N and the other out to my laptop. Went ahead and change my IP address in the TCP/IP settings and enter the factory IP address for the WAP4410N and BAM! It works!!

Now I am configurating Wireless and Access Point. This would be my first time working on an Access Point. So if I need help or have questions, I'll post it up.

Thank you again!

Paul,

Your welcome, glad we could help! Let us know if you need anything else.

I'm not sure if I should put this question here or post up a new thread....

I'm new to networking and learning as I go...

I work at a Elementary school and I have a total of 5 WAP4410N and 4 wireless Belkin routers. Can I assign all 5 WAP4410N with the same SSID and security code. So if teachers use their laptop in different locations on campus they don't always have to change wireless connection? Or should I input all 5 WAP4410N connection on their laptops, so they don't have to worry about doing it themselves?

What's a better way to use these equipments to their fullest and best potential?

Thanks!

Hello Mr. Thao,

First thank you for the kind remarks.

This is a great question. There are several ways to do this and understanding that you need it as simple for the teachers as possible here is what I would do:

I would give each AP the same SSID and security code, but I would make sure that each is on a different channel. I would only use channels 1, 6, and 11 if possible. Those three are the only ones in the 1 - 11 range that do not overlap each other. This means that you would have 2 on channel 1 two on channel 6 and one on channel 11 for example. I would also make sure that the two on the same channel are placed as far apart from each other with in the school.

Hope that this helps.

Eric Moyers
1-866-606-1866

I'll try that and YES, very helpful. Thanks!

Hi sir ,,

1-  Can I connect WAP4410n wirelessly to router and give connection to clints over AP ,, I tried Wireless Client/Repeater but it didnt work ,, when I un plug cable from AP I have no internet connecton

2- how many AP can I connect to one router

thnx

Best wishes

To better answer that, what is your router that you are trying to connect to?

Eric Moyers

thnx for fast reply as usaul

the router is  e900 linksys by Cisco

Please make sure that the SSID and password and encryption that is configured on the E900 is input into the WAP4410N. Since this is a non-Cisco router you can only use the wireless client/repeater.

If after confirming the settings above, you still can not get in I would call or go to the Linksys support forums. Not knowing that device, I would make sure that it signal is able to be repeated. Some consumer routers are not setup to allow their wireless signal to be repeated.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866 ext 601027

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Hi ERIC, Please i need your assistance. We are using WAP4410N access point in our school and we did not password it. Students have been abused the internet and i want to put password on the Access point as a network administrator. I have used one the solution you provided by connecting the access point to my PC that has a static IP address such as 192.168.1.200, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, no gateway or DNS in TCP/IP V4. On typing the IP address on web browser i.e 192.168.1.245, i got the this response from the page. username and password.but  No button to click for login on the page displayed to me. 

Please help