Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP 4410n Multiple SSIDs and Vlans

rayondesoleil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking for more detailed explanations concerning the multiple SSIDs feature and Vlan with AP WAP4410n

I am actually in charge to deploy a wireless network through a villa, there would be Pcs as also other wireless such as Lutron equipement (Creston like equipment).

I have been asked to create to different wireless networks one for the Pcs and another one for the Lutron equipement. I thought acquiring WAP4410n AP would be a good idea as they provide multiple SSID feature as also Vlan capabilities. But I would need a better aproach prior to purchase this kinfd of product.

What would you advise me to do ..?

Thank you very much in advance.

Olivier.

PS.: What kind of switch would I need to manage vlan ? Catalyst 2600 series ..?

1 Reply 1

wichilds
Level 4
Level 4

Oliver,

The WAP4410N is capable of operating in 3 different modes. It is by default an AP (base station for other wireless clients, basically a wireless switch). It can operate in bridge mode to link two wired networks, or it can be a wireless repeater (kind of like a wireless hub) where the signal is just received and then sent down the "line" (over to the next wireless device). This wireless AP just tags the packets like a switch would except according to the mac address in it's mac table (where as a switch would tag it according to port received on), and then sends the packet to the attached switch/router for processing. Depending on the number of vlans and the complexity of the configuration, I would recommend the SFE2010 or SGE2010. If those are too pricey, I would then look at the SRW model. This all depends on the number of ports needed and the type of management/feature set you need.

Best of Luck,

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: