cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1141 vs 1142

jszapipes
Level 1
Level 1

Do Cisco LAP1142 AP's allow both N and G clients to operate at max capacity since it is a dual radio ap? Meaning, that if i have a G client and an N client connected to the same AP will the G client operate at G and the N client operate at N? Or will the N client be forced to operate at G? If so, i assume the 1141, since it is a single radio only allow one or the other?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

This is the one which is coming on top of my head.. The advantage or the benefit is just that.. Dual radio supports both G and A on the same hardware... where in single supports just 1 Either G or A.

So, just an example.. assuming u hav AP with single radio G and in future if a client with only A comes, then this will not be connect.. since A is not bacward compatible with B/G.. same way.. if we hav just A radio alone as well..

So if we hv dual radio supported, then there wont be any problem..

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

Hi,

The main advantage of having dual radios (2.4 and 5 GHz, instead of 2.4 GHz only) is actually the fact that 5 GHz frequencies are less subject to co-channel interference when doing channel bonding.

If we consider the 2.4 GHz frequencies we usually have only 3 recommended channels: 1, 6 and 11.
If we bond channel 1 with 40 MHz up, we end up occupying channels 1 to 5, and this will definitely cause co-channel interference on channel 6 that will become non-usable.
So this will leave you only with channel 11 to be configured on a closely located AP.

With 5 GHz frequencies, since we have much more channels to exploit, we have much less chances to run into such a co-channel interference.

Regards,

Fede

--
If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Federico Ziliotto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

N and G clients can operate in mixed mode.

In such a mixed environment, N clients will keep pre-pending on OFDM backward compatible header for G clients.

N clients will be able operate at enhanced throughputs with other N clients only.

Regards,

Fede

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yes.. if G client and an N client connected to the same AP, G client operate at G and the N client operate at N.. N comes with 2 flavours.. N over G and N over A.. N alone cannot drive.. either it should run on A or G or both.. in short no issue.. if the client just supports G then it connects to G and N supported connects to N

since it is a single radio only allow one or the other? , If i understand the question correctly then.

as i hv already told... N alone cannot drive.. either A or G should be enabled..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

If i understand you correctly... you are saying that both clients will operate as they are designed. So what is the benefit of "dual band/dual radio" access points over "single radio/single band" access points?

Hi,

This is the one which is coming on top of my head.. The advantage or the benefit is just that.. Dual radio supports both G and A on the same hardware... where in single supports just 1 Either G or A.

So, just an example.. assuming u hav AP with single radio G and in future if a client with only A comes, then this will not be connect.. since A is not bacward compatible with B/G.. same way.. if we hav just A radio alone as well..

So if we hv dual radio supported, then there wont be any problem..

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi,

The main advantage of having dual radios (2.4 and 5 GHz, instead of 2.4 GHz only) is actually the fact that 5 GHz frequencies are less subject to co-channel interference when doing channel bonding.

If we consider the 2.4 GHz frequencies we usually have only 3 recommended channels: 1, 6 and 11.
If we bond channel 1 with 40 MHz up, we end up occupying channels 1 to 5, and this will definitely cause co-channel interference on channel 6 that will become non-usable.
So this will leave you only with channel 11 to be configured on a closely located AP.

With 5 GHz frequencies, since we have much more channels to exploit, we have much less chances to run into such a co-channel interference.

Regards,

Fede

--

I am marking both answers as "correct" since they are similar and both provided me with the solution i was after.

Thanks,

Thank you very much, glad that you found all the answers you were looking for.
Please feel free to ping us back in the future in case you'd need any further clarifications on your wireless setup.

Regards,

Fede

--

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card