cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1142 AP - Ethernet NIC design flaw

j-mccarthy
Level 1
Level 1

We are deploying a load of 1142APs at a new building. We keep getting faults where the APs are falling off the network. Examination of the AP shows that the retaining lugs to secure the cable (the things that cause the audible click when you connect the Ethernet cable) have snapped off and therefore the cable is free to slide in and out of the AP. So any tiny movement on the cable in the overhead celing space is enough to dislodge the cable.

We are using Avaya Systimax X10D Cat6A patch cables.

Testing this today on a brand new 1142 AP showed that just plugging in a cable is enough to snap the retaining lugs, after which there is no cable retention on the NIC.

For an Enterprise Class Access Point the weak flimsy design of these retaining lugs is pretty ordinary and will lead to lots of problems in the field if people are using these Avaya Gigaspeed X10D patch cables.

I think Cisco needs to look at improving/strengthening the cable retention lugs on the Ethernet NICs of these APs.

4 Replies 4

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

You don't suppose it could be the quality of the tip do you? We use well over 10,000 feet of cat 5 cable & hundreds of tips each year making cables for events and shows and believe me, product quality makes a huge difference! We also have never had a problem with Cisco connections.

We use either Panduit or Amp (ampnetconnect) tips with great success.

We have installed hundreds of 1142's and not had that problem at all.

The Systimax cables are pre-terminated.

They are rated for 10 Gig and low smoke, but they are not working very well with the 1142 !

If you saw the size of these little black plastic lugs when they snap off. Less than 1 cent worth of plastic I reckon..

I recently expericed the same problem.  I did not notice any thing come off but the ethernet cable does not click in some of the 1142.  We deployed about 100 and we had it happen to 5.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card