Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1142 LAP in Operational Status 'Down'

Hi everyone,

The last three new APs I have received from our supplier (official Cisco 1142 LAPs) have all successfully connected to our 4400 series WLCs but are all reporting as being in an Operational Status of 'Down' ie their A/B/G/N radios are not broadcasting even though the APs are all in an enabled state. Furthermore, there is no steady green light showing on the APs - there is no light showing whatsoever (although they were displaying the familiar red-orange-green lights while they were pulling down the IOS images from the WLCs).

The only strange thing I have noticed is that in the AP config screen, the ‘Mini IOS version’ is shown as being v7.3.x. The other – working APs – we have of the 1142 series show v3.x. I know that controller code v7.2 and above only work with the newer 5500 and 7500 series WLCs. Could this be the issue and have any of you seen this issue previously? I am running WLC code v7.0.230.0.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

rgrds,

inayat

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That command is ran from the WLC CLI.

config ap led-status enable all

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

35 Replies 35

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One thing I would check is to make sure the AP's radio is enabled and not disabled. If you click on the wireless tab and then in 802.11an or 802.11bgn, there is a blue triangle all the way to the right of each ap. Hover the mouse over that and click configure. Makes sure the AP's radio is enabled. Also on the wireless tab in the GUI click on Global Configuration. You should see toward the top led status, make sure that is enabled. It seems like led was turned off.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

The AP's are definitely enabled. I checked the Radio status for both a/n and b/g/n and the 'Admin' configurable status is 'Enabled' but the Operational status is 'Down'.

Very weird. As I said though, the only difference I can see between the working and non-working APs is the mini IOS version.

rgrds,

inayat

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That shouldn't make a difference. I have upgraded AP's from v7.3 back to v7.2 with no issues. Console into the ap and reboot and see what the output shows. You have enough power being supplied to the APs?

-Scott

Yes, the switch shows that the AP is drawing 15.4 Watts and there is plenty of spare power on the switch.

My only reason for querying the mini IOS version is that I know that only v7.0.x code works with the 4400 series WLCs. V7.3 and v7.3 only work with the newer 5500 and 7500 WLCs. So I wonder if the mini IOS version is causing this problem?

Well the AP has joined the WLC so the WLC that you have has successfully downloaded the code to that AP. When I run into issues like that I first look at the output when the ap boots up. Might show that the ap is bad or the radio is bad. Then I would convert it to IOS and then back to lightweight. If that doesn't work.... RMA

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can always covert it to IOS then back to lightweight which most of us do when an ap is giving us issues.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

I consoled into the AP and saw the the Dot11Radio0 and Dot11Radio1 were both in an administratively shutdown state even though I had enabled them on the WLC. I then manually did a 'no shut' on the two interfaces and they now show as being up. However, the green light still does not display and when I do a reboot of the AP it reverts the radios to being in an admin state down (although they both appear as being 'enabled' in the GUI).

rgrds,

inayat

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is the thing. If the LEDs are not showing up, it is either used or broke. If it was used, the led might of been disabled by the previous user. So try to enable the led either from the GUI or CLI that can give you some insight.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

I don't think there is anything wrong with the LED as they correctly display during the boot up process. It is only when the bootup process is complete and the AP has associated with the WLC that the LED disappears. This has now happened to three new 1142 APs in a row.

Btw, you seem to suggest that it is possible to manually enable the LED. How do you do that?

rgrds,

inayat

I have the same problem with the LEDs not working when the AP is up.
They work fine in the boot sequence, but after that the AP goes black.
We have 80 APs and it's just the last batch that has this feature.
AP1142N model.

It's just the LED that does not work, the AP connects clients as usual.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post some screen shots. You have SSID's configured and enabled on the WLC correct? It's only an issue with some not all?

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The LEDs work until they join. So it might of been disabled by someone. Just try to enable it from the GUI or CLI.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

config ap led-state enable all

To enable or disable the LED-State for an access point, use the config ap led-state command.

config ap led-state {enable | disable} {Cisco_AP | all}

-Scott

Hi Scott,

I have attached four screenshots. Two from the GUI and two from the Console. As you can see I am unable to run the config ap command as it does not seem to exist.

All the other APs (over 50 APs connected to this particular WLC) are working fine. The problem has been with three recent APs we have received from our supplier.

rgrds,

inayat

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: