cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1200 AP / Multiple Vlans, only one gets dhcp

jeffdanderson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1200 ap that is setup with 2 vlans. Vlan 200 and vlan 300. The client is able to successfully connect to vlan 200 and get a dhcp address with no issues.

When the client tries to connect to vlan 300, he associates with the AP but cannot get an ip address. I had the client try to give himself an ip address on that vlan and that didnt work either.

Both vlan 200 and 300 are configured the same. They are setup for open authentication, mandatory wep with a 128bit key.

I can not figure out why the client is unable to get an ip address. The dhcp server is located on the router which has a trunk to the switch. If a pc were to plug into that port, it would recieve dhcp for the appropriate network without any issue. Initially the port was setup as dynamic desirable with the access vlan set to 300 and the voice vlan set to 200. I then tried setting the switchport to a trunk with its native vlan in 300 and it still had the voice vlan configured for 200.

The switch is a 3550. What is the proper switchport config for an AP using multiple vlans? I would also like advice regarding the dhcp problem. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks much

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

If you've given yourself a correct static address but still don't have access when associated to VLAN300, then the problem isn't DHCP - the fact that you don't get DHCP is a side effect of the fact that you simply don't have access to the network.

It's likely that the WEP key has been incorrectly entered, or that your SSID-VLAN config isn't right.

If you post the AP config we can look at it.

In answer to your switch port question, the port should be set up as a dot1q trunk -

switch trunk encap dot1q

switch mode trunk

switch trunk native vlan X

Where X is the native VLAN you have configured on your AP.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

mattmullen
Level 1
Level 1

If you don't have any ports assigned to VLAN 200 or 300, these VLANs may not exist on the switch. Do a show vlan and see if you have VLAN 200 and 300 listed with Active status. If you don't, go into config mode and type vlan 200, and then vlan 300.

A little late but i figured i would post my solution. See the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml#apconfig

I dont know what step in particular glued it all together, but i did the following things.

I matched the native vlan on my switch and AP.

I only allowed the VLAN's on the switchport that are being used by AP.

Thanks for the assistance.

Jeff

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card